Latch Key Kids

Is your child a latch key kid? Do they come home by themselves? How long are they alone if they do?

MamaWolf1981

Asked by MamaWolf1981 at 11:25 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My child isn't a latch key kid.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:27 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• i was a latch key kid but not until i was 12
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:28 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• to answer the questions, i came home by myself and would stay there for about 3 hours
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:29 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I was a latch key kid, from age 9. I was typically home for 2-3 hours by myself. It sucked until I was a teen and then I could do what I wanted with who ever I wanted after school.

Occasionally I will give my 12, almost 13 yr old a key and tell him to walk home. He's a good kid and I would trust him to be alone for several hours.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:37 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• If they end up as latch key kids, it won't be until at least age 14-15, and not longer than an hour and a half. I'm the mom that walks to the school to drop off and pick up kids and kisses them goodbye no matter how much they protest. I can say that me working would be the only reason they were alone for a short time. Our after school routine is snack then homework then play, so I can pretend they will start their homework lol
    kittymeri

Answer by kittymeri at 11:38 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Mine aren't since I'm a SAHM but we'll be getting them a key because sometimes we are out running errands and can't make it back in time. Last time we had to leave the front door unlocked but ended up making it home just minutes before they did (we passed their bus driving into our neighborhood, lol). Really have to get that key made.
    My kids are 10, 9 and 8 and we have no problem with them being home a couple hours without us. They know how to behave and to take care of themselves.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• No--- mine aren't.
    summerbabe

Answer by summerbabe at 7:51 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My son is not a latch key kid....none of my kids were. I think it's to dangerous even if the child is responsible.
    BigMomm4

Answer by BigMomm4 at 12:30 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• Nope, they were not. I was a SAHM until they were in HS. then I went back to work.
    mamagoose524

Answer by mamagoose524 at 9:02 PM on Feb. 3, 2011