I took my son off his ADHD medication!

My son will be 11 in just a couple months. He has been taking medication for ADHD since he was almost 7. We've gone through different brands, different doses, pills, patches, and tiny beads poured into applesauce. We finally found one that worked for him. I'd say he's been taking it for over a year and doing very well. I often thought his mood was a little off- he would stay to himself in his room and mumble when speaking. And then he wore a heart monitor for a month to watch for heart palpatations, but he was fine. On Sunday morning I decided to see how he'd do without his meds, so I told him not to take one. Yesterday, he didn't one again and I kept him home from school just to see how his behavior was before trying a day in school. Today, he went to school with no meds for the first time since 1st grade! He is super excited and feels he can do it! I'm happy.

Any moms ever take their kids off these meds before? Anything to watch for specifically?

Sharell8710

Asked by Sharell8710 at 11:25 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Kids' Health

• if you want to take a kid r adult off meds it's best to tell the doctor what you want to do and to ask what the best way to do that is. many doctors will slowly lower the dosage until it can be eliminated. lots of psychiatric meds can take up to 2 weeks to get into and out of your system, and i worry about the sudden crash if that happens.

BUT everyone is still different. just watch for the things your child was doing before that you wanted to get under control with meds, even to a lower degree and make sure you point these out in a non accusing manner to him, so maybe he can learn what behaviors are acceptable and which are not.

i took myself off meds at 16 cold turkey and haven't been on any since. remember, in order for the person to get "better" off of meds, they have to WANT to change their behaviors. :)

good luck and hugs!
    kittymeri

Answer by kittymeri at 11:33 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I work at The Orion School in Atlanta and we are a school designed for children with ADHD. Some of our students are on meds and others are not. We find that when a child is not slowly taken off meds there can be some highs and lows. At a young age children's bodies are sensitive to medication changes..... or any changes. Just watch out for highs and lows. I am not for or against meds but some children it really helps them focus.

CristinaC1014

Answer by CristinaC1014 at 11:36 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I took my son off his meds in May after 4 years of being on them. School is somewhat of a struggle, but he is doing good. His teachers didn't even know he wasn't on his meds.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:54 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• ehhh okay. it is still in his system, in about 3 months you could consider his behavior as a basline. because it is brain meds you really should have cut doses before taking none but that is over. good luck.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:33 PM on Feb. 2, 2011