Sleep overs

At what age is your child allowed to have sleep overs? At home? At a friends?

MamaWolf1981

Asked by MamaWolf1981 at 11:26 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• My oldest started sleeping over at her friend's house just before she turned 5. My other kids didn't start until much later only because they didn't have close friends to sleep over at. It just never came up. My middle daughter is 8 now and has spent the night with her sister (now 10) at a friend's house (they are sisters who are 11 and 7). My 9yo son has never spent the night anywhere partly because he wets the bed and is embarrassed that he still wears pull-ups and partly because he's allergic to cats and dogs and every single one of his friends has a cat and/or dog.
    We've yet to have sleepovers here. We have 5 kids, I don't need more here. But we're considering doing a slumber party for my oldest when she turns 11 this summer (probably 3-4 girls plus my 3 girls--the youngest will be 5 then). Just have to figure out how to occupy my son during the party so he doesn't annoy the girls (who is also friends with).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:09 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Depends on the child. But for the most part, kindergarten/1st grade was when my started having friends over to spend the night. And, depending on the environment, same with them sleeping over somewhere else.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:28 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My daughter stayed over with a friend for the first time in 2nd grade, we also had a friend of hers spend the night that same year. Now she's in 4th grade and a lot of weekend she either spends Fri night at a friends house, or they are here. It's a lot of fun! (I do make sure I know the parents, very well, before she goes over to spend the night with anyone!)

Answer by missanc at 2:29 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I am not a fan of sleep overs - unless its with family, Grandparents or cousins. As far as friends go I dont think there is any need for it - my kids can play with their friends durning the day all they want, there's no need to stay for the night.
    1NikkiPikki

Answer by 1NikkiPikki at 11:36 AM on Feb. 1, 2011