Tatoos and Piercings

What do you think of them? Does your child have any? Are you okay with your child wanting one? Would you go with your child to get one? Concent for one if under age?

MamaWolf1981

Asked by MamaWolf1981 at 11:28 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• Love 'em both, have 'em both. My Son is only 3 1/2, so He doesn't have any yet. If He ever wants one, my Husband and I would prefer He waits until He is 18, whether or not He is still living with Us. I would be a hypocrite if I didn't want my Son to get either..if that's what He wants, then He should get them!
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 11:53 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My daughter has her ears pierced once in each lobe. That was done when she turned 10 and asked for it to be done. Anything beyond that in the piercing department and ANY tattoos can wait until they can get them legally without my signature.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:30 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Ears are fine when she asks for them. Tattoos and other piercings will wait unti lthey are 18 and have a job to afford them on their own.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:32 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My SIL was going to let her 12 yr old daughter get her nose pierced until she found out it wasnt legal until age 16....Can you believe it - 12 yrs old. My question to her was What are you going to let her do at 14 - 16 - by then you will have no control...
    1NikkiPikki

Answer by 1NikkiPikki at 11:32 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• In out state you cant consent for tattoos. The law says you have to be 18 so thats a non issue. Piercings I dont have any problem with because they heal. My dd got her belly button done around 14 yrs old. My son got his eye brow done around 15 and his lip around 16. Bye the time they were both 18 theyd pulled them out and didnt want them anymore.
    My 18 yr old son has tattoos. I dont have much choice there. They dont bother me. I have two tattoos myself, and my husband has a couple. If they are done tastefully I dont have an issue.

Answer by gemgem at 11:34 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Piercings DD (8) just got her ears done in Dec. Anything else when she was older I would prob let her do piercings can close if she changes her mind.

Tattoos Any of my kids will just have to wait until they are 18 to get them. I am not against them I have them but they can wait until they are an adult so if they changed their mind about it they would be the only one to blame!
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:38 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Oh, and I have had my navel and tongue pierced and have 6 tattoos. I have nothing against them but a tattoo isn't a novelty, it's permanent. As for navel and tongue piercings, they are for other reasons not just cosmetic enhancement. As for facial piercings, while it's illegal to discriminate when looking for a job, many companies will find a reason to NOT hire someone with facial piercings.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:38 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I will be ok with my daughter getting piercings when she's 18 (other than ears, I don't think ears are a big deal). Piercings are temporary and can be taken out. I will have more of a problem if she wants an ugly tattoo. I have tattoos and piercings but they are not ghetto. I had to have a tat removed so I know what it's like to regret one.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:41 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• they dont bother me, 2 of my kids have ears pierced (i did it when they were babies and then decided to wait with my younger 2 till they asked for it). as far as tatoos if we are in a state that allows it before 18 with consent we will sign only if the design is something they have wanted for one year and they are at least 16. we will go with them, but they must pay for them.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 11:51 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I only have my ears pierced now, 2 in each ear. I used to have a belly button ring. I got it when I was of legal age, and could pay for it myself. I have no tattoos, but that's more because I can't decide what I'd get, and also because I'm too chicken to get one. (I hate pain) As far as my daughter goes, she can get her ears pierced when I feel she's old enough to take care of them. (8 or 9, probably) Anything beyond that, and she'll have to wait until she's legal and can pay for them herself. Same with tattoos, she has to be legal and be able to pay for it herself. I'm not against them, but I'm against teenagers getting them.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 11:51 AM on Feb. 1, 2011