Is it THAT difficult to RSVP? When you don't hear back do you assume they are or aren't coming?

We're having a bowling party for my daughter...invite said to please rsvp with your child's shoe size by 1/31. NINE kids have not responded. I would assume they are NOT coming, but my daughter said that a few of the missing RSVP kids told HER they ARE coming, but I can't exactly take a conversation between two 5 year olds in Kindergarten as truth, kwim?

I need a head count by tomorrow, what would you do?

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 11:31 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I hate that! Personally, if it's somewhere I have to have a number for, I take the time and call them individually. It really stinks to have to waste the time calling when you already spent the time to send out invites but it would be awful for a child to show up expecting to bowl and end up being left out because their parents are too rude to RSVP.

Answer by missanc at 11:33 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My guess is that one or two of the non-replies will show up, and possibly one or two of the kids who RSVP'd won't. If you have phone numbers for the parent's of the kids who talked to your daughter you could call them and ask. I know it's frustrating. GL!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:36 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I know..I hate that too. If I have thier phone numbers or email addresses..I just send a quit not to those that didnt get back to me asking if they are coming or not.
    For my sons bowling party..I just planned on the whole number of kids showing because NOONE RSVP'D...little more than half came and I had money left over,lol. yay.
    Now I just do my parties at home with a theme..lot easier and I don't really care who comes or not,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:39 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Sadly, I do not have any of the phone numbers, invitations were sent to school and she invited the whole class. UGH! And of course there is no school today because of the snow, and I'm guessing no school tomorrow either. I guess I'll just ask the place if one or two more show up can we just tack it on the bill, not sure how they will handle favors and enough pizza, etc... I swear, there should be some public service announcement teaching the importance of RSVPing, it is so rude not to! K, don't venting ;)
    gramsmom

Comment by gramsmom (original poster) at 11:40 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Yea, that irks the hell out of me!

I assume they are not coming. Certain places, like chuck e. cheese need a head count before you even pay, so i just include all the people i plan to invite and pay the price for it. at my 4 year old's party last year, MORE than that showed after everyone brought siblings, cousins, aunts & uncles & crap. so unfortunately those people had to buy their own tokens & pizza since i was unaware they were coming. if it's not a pre-paid party though, i would assume the non rsvp'ers aren't coming and if they show up, tough luck on them.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:42 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I assume they're not coming. If they show up, their parents are going to have to figure out what to do, because they didn't RSVP.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:46 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• i know exactly how you feel. i did my sons 8th b-day party at the bowling alley. i only had two out of 20 RSVP. I told the bowling alley that i thought about 10 would be coming. I only got charged for the two kids and myself to bowl. It was more disappointing that no one in his class cared to come. In the past we've done his parties here at home so if i do one next year then we will be doing it here at my house.
    sonsmom

Answer by sonsmom at 7:27 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• It's so frustrating, I know. When they show up, mention to the parents that you hope they have enough shoes, you didn't get a phone call so you assumed the kid wasn't coming.

I've had people not call, drop off their kid without a word, leave, then come to get them and not say a word again. If I hadn't seen them leaving, I would have thought the kid was missing!!

Most party places are aware of the problem and will have enough favor bags, and get a final count at the party.
    Try not to let it get to you, enjoy the party and the celebration of your DD's birthday!
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 9:39 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• i agree with swasson, it isn't to hard to pick up a phone for a 30 second phone call. if they don't rsvp, and they show up, they get their own bill. simple. but i would fill them in on that when they show up, that way they have the choice to stay or leave. they will be pissed, but i bet they rsvp next time!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 10:57 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• We are sort of going through the same thing. DD is having her 5th birthday party this Saturday. Said on the invite to RSVP by last Friday. More than half her class did not contact us at all and I can only assume they are not coming. It's irritating beyond belief to me and I truly consider it rude.

If they end up coming, I'd tell the parents that you are sorry, but since they did not let you know they were coming, they aren't included in the cost of the party guests and, therefore, will have to pay for anything and everything out of their own pockets.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:34 AM on Feb. 3, 2011