Potty Training too early?

My youngest DD is 18 months. Out of nowhere she started to love the big girl potty. Her vocabulary is still very small and she can't tell me mom I have to potty, but she will run to the bathroom ripping off her diaper and sits right down and goes. Really it was without instruction or guidance, she just watched big sister do it and caught on. My problem is that she's petite even for her age, still wears a 3 in diapers and all the pull ups are huge on her. She's ripping her diapers off and not always making it to the potty, she can't always get her pants down, or communicate when we're in public that she has to go, so it's becoming frustrating for both of us. I don't want to discourage her from the potty at all, but she seems so tiny to be stuck on a rigorous potty training regimen. DH even took the bars off her crib to use as a toddler bed so she can get up in the night to use the bathroom. She hasn't fallen out or anything but now it's that much harder to keep her in bed at night where it was never a problem before. So, what are your opinions? Should I actually keep trying to potty train her; buy the big pull ups and sit her down every half hour with lots of praise.. or leave it as something she can do on her own will at home but not really reinforce the behavior? Or keep her in clothes she can't get off so I'm not following around a trail of diapers and puddles all day just for the 2 or 3 times she makes it to the potty on time?

Winter1derland

Asked by Winter1derland at 11:41 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• It sounds like she wants to go. Let her. Have you looked into potty pants? They are cloth and have a padded crotch to catch leaks.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:44 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I wouldn't discourage it. How about underwear and plastic pants?
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 11:44 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Teach her the sign language for bathroom
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 10:27 PM on Feb. 1, 2011