Criticizing Atheism.

Atheism is the lack of a belief in god(s).
There is no empirical evidence for a god or gods.

Without criticizing the individual who is an atheist, how can one critique atheism?
Do you think you have an intelligent argument against atheism?

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 11:54 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Only that just as they say we can't prove there is a God, they in return can't prove there isn't. God gives us free will. I choose to exercise my free will to walk by faith, not by sight, and believe in and trust God, and His Word. I assume Atheists, likewise exercise that same free will to not believe, and there is nothing wrong with that. I would not be presumptous enough to ever criticize someone else's beliefs, because I know how I don't like anyone criticizing mine. This of course, is all just the way I see it, and I'm not trying to sway anyone in anyway.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 12:01 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Arguing that god exists is deflection, and I'm not interested.

Can I ask why you need to deny someone elses beliefs to strengthen another-
    Why do you have to say "intelligent reasons......." like you alone get to judge what is intelligent and what is not
    If you are not interested in debating this, then maybe you should post it some place other than a religious debate section of a message board-
    If you are looking for a one sided information without personal interjection- I suggest google-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 1:15 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Sorry, I am not responsible for the content, I don't wish bad at or on anyone unlike most of the wiccan, and kharma, dharma, whatever it is termed these days, that God himself will take under wing once they stop trying to deny his existence and power.

You have no clue what you're talking about.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:20 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Could you critique all people with say... brown hair?

The only common element of atheism is not believing in any god. There is no book to follow, no organized body to set guidelines and rules, no authorized leaders, and little resources to say what qualifies a person to be a true atheist. There's no cohesion, which is vastly different from organized religion.

So I imagine it would be very difficult to critique atheism when the only thing in common they have is that one belief.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:42 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I don't wish bad at or on anyone unlike most of the wiccan, and kharma, dharma, whatever it is termed these days, that God himself will take under wing once they stop trying to deny his existence and power.

---

What in the world are you talking about?  Wiccans and religions based on Dharma do not teach anyone to harm others.

OP--I've never heard any arguments against it that included reason IMO.  I consider myself a Scientific Pantheist, which means I don't believe in personal, anthropomorphic gods and if I use the word God at all, it's meant to convey my awe and reverence for nature and the Universe.  It's basically a perspective between atheism and theism.  If I define God as the Universe, then it exists, but there's no proof of personal gods.  That's all faith based.  To each their own.

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:24 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Just look into the eyes of a newborn baby and tell me what you see. Either you see evidence of God or you don't. There is really no point in debating it.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 12:42 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Clarity,

No, Atheism asks no questions - it's neither a philosophy nor a science. But an atheist has made a judgement, and a judgement based on incomplete evidence. We (as a species) do not understand everything about the universe. Agnosticism allows for future evidence and acknowledges the inconclusiveness that lacking evidence provides. Atheism states that sufficient evidence has been collected for a decision to have been rendered.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:56 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• But an atheist has made a judgement, and a judgement based on incomplete evidence. We (as a species) do not understand everything about the universe

As does any belief that does in fact profess belief in a deity. They too have decided that sufficient evidence has been collected to render a specific decision. Not to mention the "evidence" is often circumstantial and based on the believer's own opinions.....
    However I will correct you, an atheist bases their "decision" on insufficient evidence being provided in favor of deities, not sufficient evidence that they do not..
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:09 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• It relies solely on the natural evidence that already exists, and in that realm, there is no evidence for god.

The facts remain, there is NO empirical evidence for a god(s).

I see evidence everywhere. The evidence gets to be interpreted by the individual. Respectfully, you do not own the evidence, nor do I.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 1:09 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Let me see if I have this correct: science proves there is no God(s), only intelligent people understand this: so there are no intelligent scientists that are Pagan, Wiccan, Jewish or Christian?
    Anonymous