At what point can you give a child a cell phone?

Hello I have asked a question before, I am a mother of three boys 25,21 and 3 years old. I also have three grandchildren from my oldest son ages 7,5,2 Its my grandchildren that I have the question about. My son is no longer with the kids mother and there is still alot of angry between them. I have also found the mother of the children to be a person that you cant get anyway with. I am not just saying it I have try for six years to be kind, and helpful to this woman. Anyway after being hung up again(this is something she does when she doesnt want to hear anything anyone has to say) I would like to not talk to her anymore. I would like to just get the oldest girl a cell phone that she can call me directly. At what age can I do that.

1221mom

Asked by 1221mom at 11:57 AM on Feb. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• The ages you quoted seem a bit young for a cell phone, I don't think they are mature enough to take care of it and will probably end up loosing it or breaking it. I would think in the tween years.

Answer by older at 12:00 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• You can do it at any age but I wouldnt. If her mom doesnt get along with you then she can take the phone and not let them use it anyway. Or she can use the minutes for herself just to piss you off.
    I completely get where you are coming from. My son lives with his dad, and until a few months ago I had to deal with a really jealous over bearing mean step mom. We were going to do the cell phone so no one was inconvenienced with me calling and she wouldnt allow it. She said my son was too young and she wanted to be able to record my calls with my son (seriously not playing her lol).

If you do go this route, ask her first. Maybe put it in writing. You dont want to waste money.

Answer by gemgem at 12:00 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• You can not do it without the mother's permission. I would try to speak to her mother. And see if she can help. Perhaps she can help persude her daughter to allow the kids to speak to you...... I am sorry this has happened. I have three sons, 17, 8, & 6. Them marrying and having children with a Mean, A** B*tch that takes my grand children away from us is one of my biggest fears!! Good Luck!
    eluc

Answer by eluc at 12:09 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• You cannot give your granddaughter a cell phone without the mother's permission. That would be a HUGE mistake.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• A child does not really need a cell phone til they are driving. My mom has gotten my niece a cell phone like 3 different times. My niece lost the cell phones. And she was like 8 yrs. old when she got her first cell phone.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 6:21 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I gave my daughter one at age 9 and she never used it. She's almost 12 now and she still doesn't want one.
    cecyh9

Answer by cecyh9 at 2:32 AM on Feb. 16, 2011