Im trying to potty trian my three year old grandson who lives with me.

I started when he was 1 1/2 , He wasnt afraid of the toilet then but now I cant get him to go on it. He is terrified and screams and crys and says he is scared. Ive tried everthing to comfort him and give him incentive and rewards. Now I have taken away his favorit thomas movies and trians and have told him when he starts going on the potty he will get 1 back everytime he goes. He says no.I have raised 3 children who are all adults now and didnt have this potty training issue plus a special needs child I adopted who is now a teen ager who had severe emotional disturbance and potty issues, But I just cant seem to get donavin to do the potty thing. He knows what he is supposed to do and can tell me and how to do it. He just wont.Any suggestions. ive tryed everything. what do I do. He is 3 1/2 and I want to put him in school. cant do that when he is not potty trianed. dont know why it has to be so tramatic.

donavin

Asked by donavin at 12:10 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Hmm..that has to be mind boggling for you! Do you have him only going on the big potty? Maybe he's developed some kind of fear about it..I know I saw this scary movie once..and it had always stuck with me..even till this day..I have to look in the toilet first because I have a fear of a snake coming out of it while i'm sitting on it! LOL! I'm serious!
    Maybe try a potty seat for the toilet to make the hole smaller..he may be scared he'll fall in the big hole..or maybe try using a potty chair jsut for the time being until he gets the hang of it.
    Good Luck!!!!!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:13 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Thanks I do have little potty seats and I also have potable potties. He just wont do it. I dont know it is frustrating and at three it is no longer an option to where diapers and not go in the potty. I put underwear on him once and a while hell go pee in potty but poop is out of the question. he hasnt pooped for 2 days now hope he is not holding it as that can end up in an emergency health issue. Ive even talked to his pediatrician. I dont know. But thanks for the advice.
    donavin

Comment by donavin (original poster) at 12:17 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Ohhhh, this really reminds me of my son. He KNEW what to do, he just wouldn't. Finally, with some advice from a different networking site I got this answer: TALK with him about what scares him about going potty. For my son it was the "monsters" in the toilet trying to get him/his poop. After the conversation I took the advice on that other site and set up a step next to the potty so my son squat on the seat and poop that way. After that we never had another accident or problems going potty.

Hindsight says that the "monsters" were the water splashing up and hitting my son's butt. That can be kinda scary to a kid who's still learning.

My other thought is that this has turned into a massive power struggle (my daughter was the same) and it may be best to just let it go for awhile and let everyone calm down, then try again in a couple months.

GOOD LUCK!
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:25 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Look into the three day method. You can Google it and see links. I have heard it is fantastic. Just one idea..........
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:26 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• thanks for your advice. Ill try that again. make it a great day.
    donavin

Comment by donavin (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Make him wear underwear and once he messes them up a couple of times, he'll decide to go to the potty. No one likes the feeling of yucky undies
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 11:05 PM on Feb. 2, 2011