Is Black History Month still necessary?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 12:16 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in

• Necessary? It's never been necessary (we can survive without it). But it educates, so I'm all for it.
    i.heart.rachel

Answer by i.heart.rachel at 12:18 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Every DAY is a day to teach my children History, regardless of Federally acknowledged themes.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:18 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Yes. I think more than ever.
    Anonymous

• Yes, education on any subject is welcome in my book.

Answer by older at 12:23 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Is it necessary? What's necessary is that all history is taught equally, without regard to race. We shouldn't have the need to have special months for different groups of people. It fosters feelings of resentment in the groups that don't get a special month, and since there are only twelve months in the year, not every one is going to be represented.

why can't we just teach history as it happened?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I don't think so. I teach my children history chronologically acknowledging the contributions of any race. When I went to school we interrupted everything to shove as much "black history" as we could into a month and then move on like it never happened once March rolled around. It is better, in my opinion, to just teach history as history not to shove political correctness into it. Learn about Benjamin Banneker when studying the 1700's instead of throwing him in with Garret Morgan (from the 1920's) just because it happens to be February.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 12:35 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Is US History or World History still necessary? YES, it is still necessary. It is part of our history, just like Vietnam, Nazi Germany, etc.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:46 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I want a white history month,please.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 1:48 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• We need To learn all history. That means different races, countries and beliefs.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 5:03 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Necessary? No, but we should still continue to teach about ALL history.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:06 PM on Feb. 2, 2011