What famous AA hero do you talk about with your children? Why?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 12:21 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Honestly, I don't talk about heros of any specific race...we just talk about brave people who did good things and what it was related to. I'm quite OVER hearing about race every time I turn around. If people want us to look past race, stop freaking talking about it all the time.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:28 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Do you find that any of those "brave people" that you discuss happen to be apart of the AA race?
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 12:29 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Why "brave people" in quotation marks, OP?
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:30 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Recently it was Martin Luther King with my 6 year old and why did we talk about it? because he wanted to because he was learning about him at school and wanted to know more
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Yes, OP, they are. I try my best to NOT TALK ABOUT RACE ALL THE TIME and that means we talk about lots of different people and of different races and related to different events. I think continually talking about race whether it's me talking about being white or a black person talking about how black they are or whatever is divisive and fosters continuing resentment among all people.

I don't want my children to feel guilty for being white any more than I want them to feel better than anyone for being white. I try not to stress the race issue, but when they hear other people talking about it all the time, it hammers it into their little brains that race is something they need to be very concerned over. Know what I mean?
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:35 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I wrote brave people to try to bring you back to the topic. What brave people that happen to be African American do you discuss with your children? Do you ever show them pictures of AA heros?
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 12:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Do you ever show them pictures of AA heros?
    __________________________________________

My son knows who Garrett Morgan is because he is obsessed with all things traffic. He has seen pictures because he wanted learn more about the traffic signals. I don't make a point of saying "And look, he's African American".

Great contributions were made by many people that history overlooks. Having these specific times to use these themes are helpful to fill in those blanks.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:45 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• We've read the biographies (written for children) of Harriet Tubman, Jackie Robinson, Ralph Bunch, Althea Gibson, and Madam CJ Walker in the last 2 years or so. And yes, the books are full of illustrations, so my children obviously realize that *OMG!* their skin is a bit darker than ours.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:47 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• As vicesix said, we talk about heroes and achievements in general - not specific to race or creed. Recently we talked about MLK because they had questions about the day honoring him. We discussed what he advocated and what he accomplished as a peaceful demonstrator. Did we focus on his skin color? Well, wouldn't it be a disservice to the man that dreamed of a day we could be judged on the content of our character and not the color of our skin to fixate on his pigmentation?

Our school system does a unit on for Black History Month in every grade. The kids learn about specific notable Americans who happen to be African American. As as a norm, though, we focus on achievements and heroes NOT skin tone. Washington Carver was a great botanist and inventor irregardless of what color his skin was. The fact he's a darker pigmentation than my pale kids does not negate nor elevate his achievements.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:00 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Do you ever show them pictures of AA heros

No. And unless their race is pertinent to what they did, race never even comes up.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 6:26 PM on Feb. 1, 2011