When did slavery end? Do you think that slavery still has it hooks in American society today?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 12:23 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Sometimes I think I am a slave to my husband..because he believes in marriage 1950's style and even though he is on a seasonal lay off he feels I should still do %100 of everything.....but in all honesty and aside from my daily life I would say it does still exist just in different forms
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:27 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• It ended in the US with the end of the Civil War. Slavery is still alive in some parts of the world.

I don't know if anybody wants slavery back, but a lot of racism developed over the idea of whites being better than blacks, supposedly justifying the right to enslave them. Deep-rooted racism still exists today, taught from parents, grandparents, down through many generations in both races.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:30 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My neices think they are slaves when they have to do chores.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• In the traditional way, it's over.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:33 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• No.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:37 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• They say white slavery is
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 12:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I don't believe slavery has ended. Slavery is a state of mind, more than any thing else. We are all slaves to something or to someone, and I don't believe it has only to do with the color of a person's skin. I also know that it is possible to experience great freedom even in the most constricting of circumstances.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:45 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Yes I believe it exists.  Google it and watch what pops up.  Kids working, adults being forced to work and barely getting paid.  Children being sold into sex slavery.  It is still very much a problem today.  I don't feel like it has anything to do with race today.  RACISM is still alive and running rampant. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:02 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• In the US, black slavery was repealed by the 14th amendment ~ and reinstated for everyone with the 16th amendment. Worldwide, slavery still exists in many countries.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:24 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I think slavery was not as bad as it's been made out to be. Yes, the way SOME slaves were treated is NOT fair. However, if they were ALL treasted as bad as some people believe, work would not have gotten done and slave owners main objective was getting work done. Wit broken bones and such, it wouldn't have been as effective Also, it was not JUST the white people who wronged slaves. Their own people sold them into slavery. Another point, slaves worked on plantations and in return received food, shelter, and clothing. In modern times, we work for money to buy these things. Some of us work for slave drivers it seems. Another thing to think about, I think people use this too much today. MY ancestors may have owned slaves that were ancestors to some of my friends. However, I did not own slaves and would not own slaves. I shouldn't be blamed for my ancestors just as others cant be compensated for what was done to their ancestors.
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 1:35 PM on Feb. 1, 2011