Are AA's sinning by not forgiving past racism?

As Christians arent we supposed to turn the other cheek? Do you think that African Americans should just get over racism of the past? Are AA's sinning by not forgiving past racism that may or may not have happened to them?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 12:25 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• LOL. Are spouses sinning for not forgiving their spouse for infidelity? Is anyone sinning who doesn't forgive the other person? Forgiving and forgetting are two different things. Most African Americans don't spend their time worrying about the past sins towards us. Hell most of the people who committed those sins are dead now. Everyday I am on CM I realize just how racist people still are. And it makes me sad. I have had wrong done to me by whites, blacks, brown etc. There is one thing I have learned its not the persons skin that makes a person who they are its their heart. Everyone sins thats why we ask God to forgive us of the sins we may and may not know we have committed. I don't spend my time judging other peoples sins. I would worry about yourself because that is whose sins you will have to answer for.
    True_Gator_77

Answer by True_Gator_77 at 12:54 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Yup. CM IS sending mind altering messages through the internet today.
    Some would see your recent AA posts as offensive. Maybe you should step back and reconsider what and how you are asking what you are asking today. Pretty tasteless with absolutely no class. IMO
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:28 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• So, what if they aren't Christians??
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:29 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• sidesplittinglaughter

Wait, are you serious? 

Anonymous

• Then they are doubly sinning?
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:29 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• and yeah, why would you assume that all AA folk are Christian?
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:42 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I'm not sure abou sinning, but yes, they need to learn to turn the other cheek. I had a professor in college who was aa, and kept telling us ' white folk' that our ancestors were evil. I'm sorry, I had nothing to do with what happened. Its sad that we felt humans of any color, background, or religion deserved to be treated poorly. But it's time to put the past in the past. As for racism today, we all need to learn tolerance.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:47 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I think that it's left up to the individual whether they choose to forgive. I'm a white woman and I have no idea how it must feel to know that your family for generations has been oppressed, enslaved, and denied rights. My family has been in America for generations. Therefore, I would never presume to tell African Americans that they should forgive. I do know just from my own experience that forgiving can be freeing but it's not my place to tell someone to forgive. 

MonkeyPeanut79

Answer by MonkeyPeanut79 at 8:32 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Racism of the past, sure, why not? Racism of the present? Not so much.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna

I didnt. But the ones that are that still hold grudges are they sinning?
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Feb. 1, 2011