my 6 yr old doesnt understand that his baby brother has autism how do i explain it to him without confussing him

taterbug8o

Asked by taterbug8o at 8:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Tell your child his brother sees things differently than he does. I think if you tell him he is sick he might expect him to get well.
    StaceeyL

Answer by StaceeyL at 8:25 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Just continue to explain that he is sick. Something in his head doesn't work the way yours does and it makes him do ........ you fill in the blank. Children learn quickly. He will get it.
    godservant

Answer by godservant at 10:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Once, the child of my husband's uncle hit my 5 y/o the first time they met and he didn't understand. He was crying b/c she hit him, and I had to explain to her that she was sick in her brain and that she didn't mean to hit him.
    stefanierios

Answer by stefanierios at 11:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Be completely honest about it. Tell him all about it.
    catlee2127

Answer by catlee2127 at 3:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I wouldn't use the word sick right now when explaining. I would tell him just as he is special so is his brother. His brother needs more help in certain areas and go from there and is he doesn't get it put it in his prospective. ex. tell him You need him to help you a bit with him then praise him when he does well, with a reward .
    Tabetha_ruh

Answer by Tabetha_ruh at 5:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2008