How do I use a breast pump? adult content

I'm nursing my newborn and sometimes she'll latch on but will quit after a while. I don't think that's she's getting much out so I started to use a pump to help but nothing will come out when I use it. However, when I squeeze the tip I get a little bit out. Now my breasts are so engorged that my daughter won't even latch on. How can I make it to where I can pump to get some of the milk to flow?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stop the formula. Baby needs very little in the first days. Today you should change FOUR dipes, that's all. More is gravy. If baby is not latching a lot it's a sign of nipple preference due to the bottles, and that's a nasty battle you want to avoid. Bottles and formula OUT of sight and mind, right now.

Baby WILL get enough if you give your body a chance. Right now, each bottle is like severing a milk duct as far as impact on supply.

You can hand express to soften things up. Still can't answer your pump question as I don't know what pump you're using.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:41 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• What pump? Is it assembled properly?

Answer by gdiamante at 12:46 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• By the way... your newborn sounds like she's normal. If you're changing one dipe per day of life right now, up to 6-8 by the end of week one, she's getting enough. Has she passed the meconium?

• I successfully breastfed 2 kids for a year and my third for a little while but never successfully used a breast pump. Sometimes it is the pump and sometimes Mommies just can't let down for them like they would their little ones.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:50 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• gdiamante... My milk hasn't fully come in yet it looks like it's mixed. She's only four days old and I have been giving her formula too just so I can make sure that she's eating enough. I only do this after I try and nurse her though. She always drinks all of the formula so I'm not sure if she is even getting any breastmilk.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:55 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Don't give her formula if you want her to breastfeed you need to get you milk in and let her build up your supply. How much she drinks from a bottle doesn't mean that she is not getting anything from you its easier to drink from a bottle then a breast. The only way to really know how much milk she is getting from you is to weigh her before and after a feeding. I had to do this a couple of times with an LC with the youngest to make sure she was getting enough since she started in the NICU.

Can you try to hand express? Also if you haven't met with a lactation consultant it would be a good time to. They could make sure your shields for your breast pump are the right sizes etc. As well as help you with any questions you have.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 1:45 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I pumped only for 11 months. The pump was my second child! I would sugget that if you are going to pump only, then you get a double pump. I used Medela and loved it! Make sure the shields are the right size. You can put hot wash cloths on yourself right before you pump to help with the let-down. Read all of the instructions that came with your pump. How long are you trying for? There is a faster setting for the beginning and then the pump will slow a little bit. You should be working your way up to about 15/20 min if you are using a double pump or 15 min per breast if using a single pump. A LC can be very helpful too!!
    lah0027

Answer by lah0027 at 1:53 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• by given formula you are making things worse. listen to g diamante she is the mod in the breastfeeding moms group.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:07 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Use a warm towel to bring your milk down when they're engorged, then let your baby latch on.
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 5:03 PM on Feb. 1, 2011