My second pregnancy and really want to do it healthier...

When I was pregnant with my daughter i weighed 115 lbs and 190 when had her... had a lot of problems.. high bp... I am pregnant again four years later and I weigh 150lbs and only 5'3' tall... I really am afraid to gain to much weight and really want to be healthy... But I am clueless on exercises safe for pregnant women.. healthy drinks? healthy foods? How much weight is typical to even gain??

rachaelcc

Asked by rachaelcc at 1:00 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• just make healthy choices and stay away from fast food :) listen to your body
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 1:03 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My doctor said 30 pounds is good but if a person starts off overweight then they only have to gain like 10-15 pounds. That's what he recommended for me and i've gained 25 pounds so far.
    Everyone I know recommends pregnancy yoga and also long walks. My doctor also recommended that I do a diabetics diet if I wanted to ensure that I would be eating healthy during the pregnancy. Moderation in everything, obviously.

i'm with you on the healthier second time around. I'm almost done with my first pregnancy and I KNOW the next time I have to be healthier.

Good luck!
    foreversweetpea

Answer by foreversweetpea at 1:05 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I remember EVERYONE saying when I was pregnant that you should gain 25-35 lbs. I gained 60 (including the 10 I gained right before I got pregnant). I don't know how I even managed that, when I threw up almost every day for like 5 months of it! But when I was over the morning sickness, yeah, I didn't eat great... and I hardly ever even left the house.
    I suggest going for walks, maybe doing some simple yoga (you can get easy yoga moves on the internet to do at home, if you don't want to go to a gym), and eat healthy foods - cook at home instead of going out, get all the food groups. That'll at least control some of the over-the-top weight gain.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 1:08 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• No Fast Foods at all, Limit Salt, No chinese food (high in calories & salt), Drink plenty of water & you can add a splash of a juice you may like, NO SODA, limit desserts to two nights a week at most, eat a lot of veggies & fruit, cereals & wheat bread. Walk as much as you can & nap when you can. Eat slowly and small meals. That's what I am doing now & with my first pregnancy & I only gained 25 pounds. GL
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:43 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Ask your doctor.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 1:45 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Use a midwife and read.
    You can take classes, use a Birth Doula~~

I save a lot of info, here are some book titles to get you started.
    ;-)

Nine Months Strong by Karen Bridson*
    Nutrition for a Healthy Pregnancy by Elizabeth Somer*
    Lose Your Mummy Tummy by Julie Tupler*
    Natural Health after Birth by Aviva Jill Romm*
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:07 AM on Feb. 2, 2011