low income housing?

anyone live in LIH or have tried? I want to apply but I dont want to waste my time if its too difficult.. kwim? (what i mean by that is is if they want you basically homelss first r something) .. ANyone know the criteria?

we are a 5 person family, and we currently pay 550 where we are... but is a 2 bed 1 bath and we cant live that small anymore, but we cant afford much more.....
my hubby works full time, I will be going back to minimal part time, and we cannot afford day care, so I am home with kids.... (6, 2 and 2 months).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

• "I don't want to waste my time if it's too difficult"?  Seriously?  Wow. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:06 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• you might try googling Low income housing for your town. I am currently living in LIH and they had a maximum income limit. We are a family of 4 and meet that max criteria for a family of 2-3. If/once you find a place find out all the info they'll need for the application paperwork and bring it with you. Our place kind of jerked us around on that stuff and we almost didn't get in.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:07 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• i have lived in one before.. If you are interested now depending on your area you may want ot apply now because waiting lists can be very long.. i didnt mind the apt i had or the everything included in rent but i had some very bad experiences living where I did in my aera and would never do it again... but the process to sign up would be to have all your infor ready your birth certf... ss cards... pay stubs for a month... that may sppeed up the process and hope you have decent ppl living where you end up.. good luckk..
    rachaelcc

Answer by rachaelcc at 1:11 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Just call the housing office and ask what the income guidelines are. Then you know right then if you qualify. I recently had to apply, because my hubby and I split up. It sucks, but it is what it is. I am a SAHM and work a part time job. I'm sure it's different but similiar across the country, but my advice, is don't talk to a lot of neighbors until you have a better feel for people. But it's like that in any neighborhood. But when I worked I was a mental health family counselor and worked in a couple of the HUD complexes and they all sometimes just thrive on drama....thats why I would just keep to myself.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:21 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• First thing is to realize that it is going to be hard. But you have to weigh the option of either paying more in rent, staying where you are at or getting on LIH. I know HUD is one of the main ones that's the same from state to state. If you've applied for medicaid before it will be relatively similar to that. Proof of income last years taxes birth certificates for every family member ect.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 8:21 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Oh and it can take a year or more to actually get on it.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 8:23 PM on Feb. 1, 2011