Looking for some fun learning & craft ideas for 3 y/o. :)

My son is almost 3, he can sing his ABC's and but needs more work on recognizing the letters.. Same with numbers, he can count to 20, but needs some work on recognizing the actual numbers.. He does know some of these, but looking for some fun learning/craft ideas to do with him to help him out with recognizing his letters & numbers a little better. Also would like to hear some regular craft ideas, so we have some fun things to do, running out of ideas here! Lol. Thanks ladies.

xxMasonsMommaxx

Asked by xxMasonsMommaxx at 1:04 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• Regular ideas for letters and shapes. Yu draw a block letter on a piece of construction paper and decorate it. If it's something like the letter P you can use Pasta, N Noodles, C cotton, be as creative as you can. Good for their educaiton and fine motor skills. They can also color. I would try to stick to one letter for 4 to 7 days. Then move up the alphabet. That is what I did when I taught preschool. You can also cut out shapes and they can match them. Keep them in a zip lock baggies. You can get clean contact paper to cover them in to keep them lasting longer, inexpensive for a roll of it too.
    Stringing pasta through yarn is great for them too, make neclaces. You can dye pasta this way, put food coloring in rubbing alcohol and soak the pasta in it. The rubbing alcohol doesn't make the pasta soft like water does.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 1:43 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I love putting shaving cream on the table. My son draws on it, copys the numbers, letters or shapes I draw in it, he plays withnhis cars in it..... And it's easy to clean up.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:10 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• One cute thing my kids came home with from preschool was a piece of construction paper with blocks/spaces penciled off. In each block they glued beads, seeds, pom poms, etc coinciding with the number on the page. For instance for the number 3....... in each block was three of something. Also, something that made this interesting was to not have all the spaces be squares/rectangles, but use triangles, circles, squares, etc. too. Just one idea for numbers.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:12 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Writing in pudding is fun and edible. We make a lot of crafts with felt and fabric glue. Most recently we made little owls. I know I've seen alphabet cookie cutters- you could make cookies or use them for Play-doh.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 1:37 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• i just did a craft wit my grandkids last nite we got some paint put it on their hands and made a heart shape wit their hands on the paper it came out real nice plus you have a memory how small they were
    TWEETY188

Answer by TWEETY188 at 1:43 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• We are off to the store to get cornmeal and cornstarch today. The Cornmeal is to put in a shallow tub/bin where I will hide the magnetic letters/numbers and the boys get to "fish" for them. The cornstarch is to make goop :-)
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 1:52 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Thanks so much!! Those are both great ideas!
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Comment by xxMasonsMommaxx (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Feb. 1, 2011