How do you get a boyfriend when you are divorced and a mother of 2 children of which one has autism?

To add you can not afford Eharmony as a solution.

gj28

Asked by gj28 at 1:07 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• If you are looking for a good wholesome guy and are somewhat religious- try going to church. Most larger churches have a single parents/singles group that you can be a part of. Get involved. I guess my best advice would be to stop looking. I had a rough time with dating... I was in a semi-abusive relationship, and ended up being a teen mother. I was afraid to break up with my boyfriend at the time because I didn't want to be alone and I didn't know if there were any guys out there who would be accepting of me AND my daughter. I ended up dating an old friend of mine, and although that didn't work out, through him I ended up meeting my husband. Things happen when you least expect them to. Go everywhere and do everything with a smile on your face, because you never know who might be watching.
    Momma24Cuties

Answer by Momma24Cuties at 1:21 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I think the answers you've got are great, I would like to add MO, don't ever introduce your children to your boyfriend until you know it's serious, sure you can talk about them, tell him all about them, but until you know he's going to stick around there is no reason to hurt your kids if they would get attached to him and he would decide to take off.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 1:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Not sure. Took me a LONG time to find a good guy (and I am a mother of 2 and divorced as well). Good guys don't always frequate the bars or other places adults go to have a night out or to themselves. Good luck with that one. (sorry not a help found my guy through dating service- not online).
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 1:13 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• put your kids in sports!! LOL!! you meet all kinds of people at the kids sports, mine play football, and i swear, everybody i know is from football! maybe you won't find the right guy, but you will prolly make some good friends and maybe one of them can set you up!
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 1:18 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Just gotta get out there- take a class, go to the bar, ask friends to set you up!!! And Eharmony is free till the end of the month =)
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• IDK yet either, but good luck. I like Momma24s answer.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 1:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Just get involved in stuff. I had 3 kids, one of who has autism, and I found my husband when I went to the local community college to update my skills after my divorce.

Answer by missanc at 2:06 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Dont LOOK. The man of your dreams will come when you least expect it... Or mine did
    SamanthaByrne

Answer by SamanthaByrne at 2:29 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Well, you date. Try to find a place where other parents of autistic children gather, a special school or support group for them. Look at church. Look wherever you are. Who do find attractive? Who is particularly nice to you and your kids? Ask out the man instead of waiting for him! Act just as you would if you were dating without children. Make a deal with your sister or mom or someone that they will help you with childcare as you search for Mr.Right. And always be up front about having kids.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• eharmony is not all that's cracked to be. Like others suggested get yourself involved in activities that you like and that way you can meet guys that like the same things.
    Azita888

Answer by Azita888 at 4:04 PM on Feb. 1, 2011