Im going to be flying for the first time, can yall give me some tips??

My husband is going out of town for work and will be gone on our anniversary and valentines day, so my mom is paying for me to fly out and surprise him for our anniversary! I have never been on a plane before so Im not sure what to expect or what to take or anything! All i know is to go early for the plane, can I get some tips from yall. Also it will be in the US so I dont think i need a passport right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Travel

• You dont need a passport unless you're going out of the country. And its really not that bad, I would bring an Ipod, book or some magazines to help pass the time. Are kids going as well, or just you? :)
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 1:11 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• No passport needed. If you are only going for a couple days, I would try to get everything in a carry on bag. Find out what airline you will be on and go to their site for any info on what you cannot take with you.

The day of travel, don't wear anything metal (rings ok), not belts change that you will have to take off. Slip on shoes.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:12 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Chew gum during the take off and the landing. This help keep your ears from popping too bad. And no liquids now in your carry on bags. Go comfortable and have on shoes easy to take on and off, for your security check. And make sure you have things to do if there is a delay. You know like a book, game or crossword puzzle.
    True_Gator_77

Answer by True_Gator_77 at 1:13 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I flew for the first time when I was 17 and I had no idea what to expect either. I agre with what others have said though... bring something to pass the time, book, ipod, whatever. Wear comfortable clothes, especially if the flight is long. I don't live in the states, so I don't know about how security is there - I went to the states on that trip when I was 17, but things have changed.
    Enjoy your trip!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 1:24 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• OP - It will be just be me. What about taking makeup (liquid foundation) or my laptop in my carry-on? I was also planning on taking his gifts (which is an electronic) so will it be okay to take that too?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Check out the TSA website for the rules regarding carry-ones. Your makeup and the laptop and the gifts will all be fine. Your airline may have specific rules on the size of your carry-on.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:48 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Enjoy the journey. Love firsts....and flying.
    Bring a good book/ camera and relax. Dress comfortable and bring a shawl or sweater as it can get cold in the air ( keeps the air more healthy)
    If you pack light your luggage you may carry on with you ( many airlines tag on an extra fee for your bag). Limit the size of your lotions and liquids as the airport authorities will confiscate it.
    Bring your headphones so you don't have to pay for them. Some airlines allow you to watch direct tv( jet blue)

Safe travels!
    Liveyourlifeval

Answer by Liveyourlifeval at 5:52 PM on Feb. 2, 2011