How do you discover a land which already has people living on it?

I was reading a book on the first thanksgiving that my son got from school and it said that the pilgrims came to america in search of a better place and they disvovered a land with brown skinned people. then blah blah blah the pilgrims showed them how to make whatever. I think it's quite one-sided that they don't ever tell what really happened. The pilgirims were starving and they didn't know how to do anything for themselves and the Native American's helped them and as soon as the pilgrims were well off and they learned all of the ways to live off of the land the pilgrims pretty much backstabbed them and gave the diseases that would never have been introduced if they hadn't helped them in the first place. The pilgrims also turned on them and wanted to wipe them out by giving the women and children blankets that were infested with small pox. Well I don't know about you but I think that would be more realistic and true to form if they told everyone the truth and stopped putting out the image of a cookie cutter peaceful bond between native americans and the pilgrims.

p.s. I'm not saying to kill white people or whatever and i'm not against any other race. i just wanted ur opinion on the subject.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• What- and make ourselves look bad??? *insert sarcasm here*

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:25 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Don't you know that if you put a flag on it, then you discovered it?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:26 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Uhh yeah, my daughter got some sugar coated storybook thing when she was in preschool around Thanksgiving that sounds alot like what you're describing. She'll learn the truth.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:28 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• i knew small pox killed more native peoples than all the violence against from white settlers

but
    are you saying that the white settlers KNEW small sox was killing them and gave native people diseases on purpose?
    find hard to believe this, as Europe had barely learned that throwing garbage and human waste in the water system, streets and living in the waste of society, was cause of some plagues..do not think people knew of disease at this time, sickness was still caused by the devil and evil ways...they had no knowledge of germs, and the very few who thought this way were inprisoned for thoughts against the Church

true that it was not a cookie cutter peaceful living between the two cultures, should be more realistic (age appropreiate) but knowledge of diseases given as weapon - i do not think so
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• America was 'discovered' for the Europeans. Until Columbus, no one in Europe knew these two continents existed. They also didn't now Antarctica or Austrailia existed. The only peoples in the Americas who know America existed were the natives and possibly some Northeastern Russians and early Nordic explorers.

Natives have been treated autrociously for thousands of years by invading parties. I agree that part of our history should not be glossed over, else we won't learn from it. But I also think teachers need to consider how age-appropriate those lessons are. High school is likely the best age to go into the full details.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:32 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I was failed in school for pointing out this FACT.  Sorry, people were already here, the "discovery" was already made.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• This is why, as a parent, I will explain all the "truths" the schools do not teach our kids behind everything that has to do with the founding of this country. The teachers will probably think, Oh lord, It's one of those families LOL
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 1:38 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• christopher columbus really gets on my nerves. i think he gets too much praise for RE-discovering.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 2:00 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• There are terrible things that have happens in human history and this is just one of many terrible aweful things. Not to mention these types of things continue today in other countries. The Indians did it to each other before the "white" man arrived. Study Africa and you will find terrible things, it will make you cry. Look what we did in Iraq! History books are onesided and are nowhere near the truth. This world is selfish and survival of the fittest rules.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 2:23 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• guess i did not make my point clear
    yes small pox wiped out peoples that white 'settlers' came in connact with
    did these people know that germs were to blame - no, i do not think so
    did they see corolation - they had to
    reason they thought for native people dropping dead - their mind set was religion, i think they believed it was their God's wrath, it proved to them that God was on their side, their beleif was correct and the native people were dropping dead because they did not believe
    when the few setttlers dropped dead, it was because of God's wrath- these people had the devil in them

small pox wiped out the native americans and in other areas, the natives were also wiped out, some cultures were wiped out 100&
    but the thinking behide was not science=germs
    it was the wrath of their God, ir the devil, same thinking in thier minds
    the church was in control of all thoughts, ..
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:53 AM on Feb. 2, 2011