we wanted to name our child after my grandpa and his...

but mine hates his first and middle names ... should i go ahead and do it or would it be a bad idea?

nofi1389

Asked by nofi1389 at 1:38 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Baby Names

• I think you should do what you both want. Just because he doesn't like his name doesn't mean he won't feel honored for his great-grandson to be named after him. I mean, obviously YOU don't hate his name since you're willing to name your son after him. So I think it's up to you and your husband.

My grandpa passed away last year and if my second child is a boy, he will be named after him. We have Liam picked out because it was the last four letters of my grandpa's name, William.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• What about calling him DW? You are still naming him after Gpa but Gpa doesn't have to call him Bradford... We have this issue a lot in our family.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 1:56 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I think you should BOTH agree to your baby's name...
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 1:39 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I named my son after my grandpa. I didnt use the whole name though. My grandpa was deceased so he didnt have much say. I was named after him, so I thought it was a good tradition to carry.

Answer by gemgem at 1:41 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Can you use the initials for the first name? Or alter it somehow?
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 1:41 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Who hates the name? Your grandpa hates his name? Try going back another generation. My dds middle name was my great great grandmas name. (Madilynn)
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:41 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• You need to both agree...it's BOTH your AND his child. Hope you are able to come to a compromise. My fiance knows my Grandpa meant a lot to me and is fine with us giving our son (I'm 6 months pregnant with a boy) his middle name (Jack).
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 1:41 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• well his name is bradford dale and my dh and i wanted to name our son bradford waye ... my grandfathers first name and his grandfathers middle name
    nofi1389

Comment by nofi1389 (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Yall need to compromise. Make your grandpa's first or middle your kid's middle name, maybe? By the way - awesome idea. I named my Son after my Gramps, He has my Gramps' first name as His middle name. =]
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 1:44 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Who hates the names? Your DH or grandfather?
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 1:45 PM on Feb. 1, 2011