what should i do

my 2 year old daughter picked up some ... unflattering words from my father ... how should i go about making her know those are bad words???

nofi1389

Asked by nofi1389 at 1:50 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My nephew had a potty mouth, but my sister would tell him, that's not how we say that word, its darn, or dang or whatever. It worked for him. I'd also be asking your father to watch what he says around her. I'm one of those moms who will correct people when they cuss around my kids, regardless of who it is.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:53 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Do you know the tone of voice you use when she does something she isn't supposed to do...... use that voice and tell her those are bad bad words, and little ladies do not use words like that, those are adult words. ( the awwwwwwwwww that's bad voice, not the get out of there before you get hurt voice) Hope that helps. Good luck, maybe you can tell grandpa that his language is inappropriate around someone her age, and you'd appreciate it if he didn't talk like that.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 1:54 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• when my boys were 2, we mostly ignored it or told them they were adult words. we used the term "adult words" because we can't control what everybody else says, so "bad words" didn't work!
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 1:54 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I explain things in her terms and try not to make a big deal about it. She doesn't understand that these words are "bad" so if you start making a big deal about them she is going to want to say them over and over again.

I would just let her know that she cannot say those words because they are not nice words for a little girl to say.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:54 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• thx ... i have been ignoring it ... but i want to teach her those are verry good suggestions thankyou
    nofi1389

Comment by nofi1389 (original poster) at 1:57 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Give her different words tell your dad to be more careful
    sabianmom

Answer by sabianmom at 1:58 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• i have toddlers, and if i hear them saying a word they shouldnt, i firmly address them in saying "don't say that it is not nice, don't say it again" and i dont hear it again until maybe months later when they pick it up from someone else
    kittymeri

Answer by kittymeri at 2:02 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Ignore them, they'll go away. Kids like to get a rise out of adults, so use them to do so.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 4:53 PM on Feb. 2, 2011