At what age can I start to crate train our puppy?

We just got the most adoreable new puppy. Thanks to my inlaws SPOILED Chihuahua! It just didn't work out. We were not prepared, but are so glad to have him. Anyhow, he is about 6 weeks old. And I need some advice on how to get him trained. He is little so we want him indoors, but I do not want a house smelling like a dog. Any and all suggestions are Welcomed and Appreciated...... He is half Poodle (Mom) and hald Maltese (Dad).

eluc

Asked by eluc at 1:54 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Pets

• right away you can start crate training, but remember a little puppy can not control themselves.

get a crate that is just big enough for it to stand up and turn around in, or one of the ones that has a panel you can put inside of it to adjust the size for later.

remember to take your puppy out every 1-2 hours and 10 minutes after eating, playing, and waking.
    kittymeri

Answer by kittymeri at 1:59 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Oh No!! I missed the 10mins mark a LONG time ago. I think I better look for poop! LOL!

What should I do if it is snowing? We are in North Texas and the snow on the ground will be up to his little chest.
    eluc

Comment by eluc (original poster) at 2:14 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• You can start crate training now. Keep him on a schedule and becuase he is so young take him out more often. They need to be taken out 10 minutes after they eat,drink or play. He should also not have run of the house he should only be allowed in the rooms where you are or put in the crate when he can't be watched. He is less likely to get into trouble that way. As far as anow take him out like you normally would if he won't go put him in the crate for 10 minutes and then take him out again. Do this until he goes. It can be done. I started potty training my youngest dog when he was 6 weeks old and in braces(his legs were over extended do to being badly malnourished) with snow on the ground.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:48 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• immediately.
    hendrickson

Answer by hendrickson at 3:08 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• best time is right away, we always did and it worked like a charm
    dharmagirl

Answer by dharmagirl at 3:24 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Start now, you can use a small crate, just large enough for him to stand up and turn one circle. You might have to remove blankets/towels, if he pees in there. If not, he can keep the bedding. If he is really small, you can use potty pads in a dog litter box for potty. Otherwise, shovel out a square in the yard, put a sweater on him and take him outside in very short amounts of time. Use just a tad, smaller than your pinkie fingernail of string cheese to reward any potty outside. Keep him on a leash, clothesline works best, in the house so you don't take your eyes off of him. Keeping a dog on a line in the house is the fastest way to teach them the house rules and supervision is key.

Obedience training can begin at this time too.

At 6 weeks, your job is to protect, keep him warm enough, while introducing him to ALL the sights and sounds of his environment. The more people who handled this pup in a positive way, the better.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 4:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• in the case of snow use puppy pads near the door cause alott of dogs and puppys wont pee in the snow there little peepees freeze lol
    nofi1389

Answer by nofi1389 at 4:45 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• THANKS, Everyone!!!!
    eluc

Comment by eluc (original poster) at 7:10 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• As soon as you get the puppy. We put an IPOD wrapped in a towel next to her on full blast so she can be comfterable and not whine.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 4:30 PM on Feb. 8, 2011