How did you get your 6 month old to take naps?

The books I've read say he needs 3-4 hours of nap time over 2-3 naps. But I can't get my baby to sleep more than an hour or so all day! I try not to nurse to sleep or rock all the way to sleep, trying to teach my baby how to fall asleep on his own. But he won't. when he does nap he rarely stays asleep longer than 45 minutes. The books say this doesn't count. He sleeps good at night 11-12 hours and seems happy but the book says that he may be chronically overtired even if he appears ok. I try to catch his sleep windows but am making no progress. Am I worrying to much about naps? The book says that if he doen't get adequate naps its like starving his brain for sleep. Please help!!!!!!!

karina400

Asked by karina400 at 1:54 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stop worrying so much about what books say. There's no manual for parenting, and every kid is different! My best suggestion is to tire him out - get in a lot of playtime before naptime. When he seems to be getting worn out, put him in his bed and leave him be - I bet he'll sleep! Trying to cut down that 11-12 hours at night might help too - but him to bed later or get him earlier, depending on the times.
    When my son was that age, we would get up around 8, and he would go down for his first nap around 11 - sooner if we played more. That nap would be at least an hour, and he'd be tired again around 2. The second nap got shorter and shorter until he stopped it completely.
    Just remember, what works for one mom/baby might not work for another.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 2:01 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Throw the book away on this one! I have five children and at 6 months, each of them slept when they needed rest. I really don't think that your baby is missing any sleep unless there is something like colic or gas that is keeping him awake. If he's not fussy or irritable, he's probably fine.

Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 2:39 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My 6 month old takes 2 nap - one 1-2 hour nap and one 2-3 hour nap, she also sleeps 11-12 hours at night. The amount of sleep a baby needs varies, so while there is a typical amount, that doesn't mean that every child will sleep that much. I've always taught my kids to fall asleep on their own from birth by rocking them until drowsy and then laying them down awake. At 45 minutes, many babies/kids go from one stage of sleep to another and may seem to wake in the process. Have you tried to leave him for a few minutes and see if he settles back down?
    If he still won't sleep, but otherwise seems generally happy I wouldn't worry too much about what the books say.

Answer by missanc at 1:59 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• really just let him sleep when he sleeps. that's it. nursing to sleep is fine, it wont "spoil" him or hurt him in anyway, also rocking or w/e else he likes will work fine. again he'll sleep when he is tired.
    Baby309

Answer by Baby309 at 1:59 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I would love to see the answers on this one too. My 6mth old sounds to be the same way!!
    CristinaC1014

Answer by CristinaC1014 at 2:00 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Please, don't listen to what a book says. A person is not a cookie cutter example of some "experts" ideas. Especially a baby. If he is sleeping a solid 11 hours at night, be HAPPY. My 15m and 2 1/2 year old don't even sleep through the night. If he is happy and not fussy and crazy, then just continue to put him down for a rest time at the same times daily. I think around 10 or 11 months are when both my son's begin to outgrow their 2 daily naps and transition to 1. Not every baby is the same. If he is healthy and thriving in development then throw the book away.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:13 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Please help.
    karina400

Comment by karina400 (original poster) at 1:58 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• As longs as he is sleeping at night, it's all good! You can't force him to sleep.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I don't do anything. When he's tired he sleeps. There is no schedule. I don't read "parenting" books. They are rubbish. Just follow your baby's cues. My 6mo spends his days playing on the floor. When he's tired he just lays his head down and falls asleep. Or, sometimes, he'll start to get fussy and whiny so I'll put him in his bed (still awake) and he'll fall right to sleep. It's just whenever. Sometimes he sleeps for 20 minutes, sometimes 2 hours. It just depends on how tired he is and how loud the other kids are. He also sleeps 10-12 hours at night. You can't force a baby to sleep. They'll sleep if their tired.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:26 PM on Feb. 1, 2011