For those who oppose gay marriage and homosexuality.......

Please tell me, how would you handle an offspring who is gay and wants nothing more than to be able to marry their life's partner? Would their sexual orientation change your relationship with them?

Asked by older at 2:01 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Parenting Debate

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • It would not matter to me in the least.

My parents good friends are facing this. Their only child is gay and they refuse to accept it. It has greatly effected their relationship. They are no longer close like they use to be. It is very sad.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:04 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• i am so surprised to see the level of acceptance in the answers, probably b/c i am gay/queer/different than most. First off, I always knew when i wanted children that the MAIN thing for them would be, 'BE WHO YOU ARE'...as a 'different' person, I believe GOD wants us all to be WHO WE ARE..choice? no choice? the 'researchers keep looking...b/c if they can find something that "causes" it then they can "fix" it...Get a grip folks..what if your child was born diabetic? w/cancer? a different race? would it really matter? and before i get off my soap box I think MANY MANY narrow minded people think:SEX as soon as they hear homosexual/bisexual/etc. When you hear about a straight couple, do you automatically think about their sex life...? Anyone who is real knows that the sexual part of ANY relationship is just a thread in a quilt..relationships are much much more than just sex...
    Rowen121

Answer by Rowen121 at 2:32 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• MrsHouston47302 :
    You could still have grandkids, even if your kids were gay...
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 2:15 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• This should heat up this cold day!!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:02 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I could careless if my son was gay. I would accept him. I also think what other people with their lives are none of my business.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I seriously wouldn't care if my children were gay, not a bit. I care about their happiness. I want them to find a partner that makes them happy, that is good to them and loves them unconditionally. Grandchildren? Well, gay people can have kids, too.
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 4:49 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• The only time I would be concerned is if his partner was not treating him right and then I would be kicking some ass. Aside from that, I wouldn't have cared.

My youngest SIL is gay and she has a wonderful partner ... I think her partner is really a SAINT to put up with little SIL. LOL!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:36 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Nope!  I don't actually know anyone personally who is gay/lesbian that I know of but I wouldn't have a problem with it.  Of course, I want grandkids from all of my kids so I'd be disappointed in THAT alone, not because of the choice to be with the same sex.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:03 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Sleeping, it doesn't matter how many times I encounter these types of parents, it never ceases to amaze me how they can just throw away a relationship that took a lifetime to make because of a trait that is genuinely in them and have no say in it.

Comment by older (original poster) at 2:07 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I know it is just sick! I know their son well and he was a total momma's boy. Not anymore. He would be straight if he could choose it, but he can't.

It is just so sad D:
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:09 PM on Feb. 1, 2011