Gay marriage

Do you think it's hypocritical of the courts to say that religious things cannot be a part of the court system...like taking down all saying with "God" in them....but use religion as an excuse to ban gay marriage?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree Anon 4:59.. I think its shameful that both parents aren't acknowledged in gay adoption. This only hurts the child and the second parent. It doesn't PREVENT homosexual couples from adopting because single parents can adopt. So, all the ends up happening is that if the couple DOES separate - the child ends up suffering. Only one parent has custody rights. Only one parent is liable for child care. There is no such thing as going after child support from the parent that wasn't listed. The parent that wasn't listed can't demand visitation. I thought the courts were supposed to act in the best interest of the child? They really aren't in this case.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 6:06 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• yes
    bubblebean

Answer by bubblebean at 5:03 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Absoultely.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 5:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Yes
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:40 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I've heard very weak secondary excuses - like if same sex marriage was nationally approved there would be an increased number of "fraudulent" marriages by roommates and such just going for married tax breaks and to get insurance for their friend.

Not something I agree with mind you, just saying that there will be the claim that it's not illegal simply because of a religious moral judgment.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 5:51 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• yeah its wrong to use God as an excuse esp when my kids arent allowed to say the pledge of allegiance in school because God is mentioned.
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 5:55 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I know. I think, who is it hurting? Why do we care? It's because peopel don't agree with it, that's all. They're allowed to adopt kids and not be married and only one have custody...that is wrong to me
    Anonymous

• I was talking to my friend about gay marriage and he's a very devoted christian....he kept telling me how it was wrong. I asked him to explain to me why it effects him and how? He couldnt, all he could say was that marriage should be between a man and a woman. I told him that God also says not to judge but that's what he was doing.
    Anonymous

• YES i do. I don'tagree with it but this is America LAND OF THE FREE. i think that everyone should have the right to be married to the person of their choice regardless of my religions take on this subject. we are not to judge that is Gods job not ours. if everyone would mind their own buisness this world would be alot better!.

rachelisamail

Answer by rachelisamail at 7:13 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I'm not sure if the court specifically used religion as an excuse to ban gay marriage. But I don't see why people think that religion would be the only reason to be against it. Gay marriage until very recently has never been legal anywhere in the world, and most of those places were not Christian.
    Anonymous