Do you think that slavery in America was really as bad as it is made out to be?

Someone answered a question and stated:

I think slavery was not as bad as it's been made out to be. Yes, the way SOME slaves were treated is NOT fair. However, if they were ALL treated as bad as some people believe, work would not have gotten done and slave owners main objective was getting work done. Wit broken bones and such, it wouldn't have been as effective Also, it was not JUST the white people who wronged slaves. Their [African Americans] own people sold them into slavery.
Another point, slaves worked on plantations and in return received food, shelter, and clothing. In modern times, we work for money to buy these things. Some of us work for slave drivers it seems. Another thing to think about, I think people use this too much today. MY ancestors may have owned slaves that were ancestors to some of my friends. However, I did not own slaves and would not own slaves. I shouldn't be blamed for my ancestors just as others cant be compensated for what was done to their ancestors.

Per this person slavery has been minimized. Do you agree with this assessment?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 2:28 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• well seeing as my family were enslaved native americans yes i do resent it but i think alot of slave traders were ok to there slaves i mean there living arangments were crappy and food wasnt always the best but it wasnt as bad as the hebrew 4th of my family who lived through the holocaust
    nofi1389

Answer by nofi1389 at 2:30 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• WHAT?!!! That is a stupidly gutsy statement!!! I can't believe anyone is that ignorant...
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• idk..i didn't live then, and if i did, i would've been outcast myself, being part American Indian and part white. i have my own issues to deal with, concerning the wrongs done to AIs...i don't blame Europeans for what happened in the past, nor do i blame any AIs who may have sold out his own people. what's done is done..get over it, and live for today. you cannot change the past, nor can you hold those living responsible for what deceased persons did to other now-deceased persons.
    you can only be responsible for yourself and how you treat your fellow man/woman.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• In a lot of cases worse.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 2:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Here we go again! Some mindless person trying to start a fight!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I think it was probably bad. I wasnt there so I cant give you a witness statement or anything. I imagine maybe you wouldnt want to be a slave? Someone who had to do what they were told> Couldnt vote? Had no say in if you got to keep your children in some cases? Had to be beaten? Raped in some cases? See your loved ones have the same happen to them?

Im sure there are some cases that werent that way, but mostly, uh, Im thinking it WAS bad.

Answer by gemgem at 2:35 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Nope, I'm sure it was really worse than what it was made out to be.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I come from a long line of dirt farming ,rail road buiding Irish, but I argee that salvery was as bad as some would portray.
    firelites

Answer by firelites at 2:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• WOW~!!!

Yes, it was HORRIFIC.....and DISGUSTING

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:41 PM on Feb. 1, 2011