• In the Spotlight:

Do you ever think

Do you ever get mad that all religion has been taken out of schools? I think it's bs that people who believe in God can't celebrate Christmas at school, etc. I think it's sad that the kids can't celebrate Halloween, etc. I think if you don't believe in it then don't let your child participate. Why should everyone be punished? I think it's ridiculous personally

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I tend to agree with you. i think the generic way they are now handling these holidays is absurd. things have just gone way too far.

if you really wanted to split hairs on this issue one could say the schools can't have any kind of celebration, even decorations related to any religious holiday due to the separation of church and state.

i think the only way to have your child have the benefit of celebrating a religion is via home school or private school.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 5:27 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• my kids go to different schools and both schools celebrate. Where are you talking about??
    bubblebean

Answer by bubblebean at 5:24 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• In my opinion religion shouldn't be in school anyway. You go to school to learn. Not to learn about god. That's what church and private schools are for.

ambie1983

Answer by ambie1983 at 5:28 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Things like the pledge of allegence (sp?) and stuff I don't feel should be taken out. If you don't believe in "One Nation, Under God..." then dont' say it. I'm talking about Washington state. It makes me mad that my son can't go to school in his costume b/c someone threw a fit about Halloween....Do I think they should teach everything about religion? No, but religion is a part of history and a big reason a lot of things happened
    Anonymous

• Well, then they would have to have ALL holidays and celebrations (not just "christian" ones) and that would be slightly impossible.
    Anonymous

• I do agree with Anon that religion is a large part of human history and it's impossible to ignore it as part of many societies. Funny, being Agnostic... I would actually support religion being taught as a class - like a world religion class. To increase tolerance, understanding, awareness. So many religions have so much common ground - its a shame people can't appreciate it. In a classroom - looking and learning about all the holidays different religions have and why.. learning how some intermingle. The problem is finding a way to present the information from a "neutral" stand point... without saying our way is right and here is how the "others" do it. Heck, I would love to take a class like that myself ;) I certainly wouldn't mind my kids being in a class like this.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 6:01 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• The issue I have the problem with is this...in the schools that still celebrate Christmas, they only do because they have to celebrate them all, which is fine! However, after they've taught the kids about the other ways people celebrate and they move onto Christmas, they give the santa story. They never talk about the REAL reason the majority of Americans celebrate it. How is that fair? I homeschool and I LOVE IT! My kids will get to celebrate until they can't celerate anymore, lol!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:11 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• i agree that religion shouldn't be in schools either unless of course they are going to a religion based school. i know when i was in elementary there was a classmate who was a jehovah witness and he just wouldn't attend the parties but we still left stuff on his desk.
    sterlids

Answer by sterlids at 6:45 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I agree with Ambie1983
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 6:47 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I think each school has it's own personality and ways of doing things. Having a lot of children attend many different schools over the years, I have to say I am happy about each school's personality. And if I didn't like it, I could remove my child, or add my own two cents to what they are learning. The current elementary school is very tolerant and does all the holidays, one way or another, including a holiday concert w/ kwansa, driedals, mangers, saviors, rudolf, and elves--you get the picture. My job is to teach them their moral values, and tolerance, and the school to expose them to many cultures.
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 9:12 PM on Nov. 15, 2008