Did your child / children get jealous of new baby?

My daughter just turned 5 and I am expecting the new baby in Sept. right after she goes to kindergarten. She has been the only for 5 years and is rotten by us and the grandparents. But she doesn't act rotten, she is one of the most well behaved kids I know. Do you think the age difference will make her more or less jealous?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• My younger ones did not get jealous - I have 5 kids, three close together, then a space and then two more. But when the two little ones were born, my 8 and now 9 year old told me she was jealous of them. She didn't act out, she just told me she was - so I made even more of an effort to spend one on one time with her.

Answer by missanc at 2:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• my 2 1/2 year old never got jealous of his little brother when he was born. Actually he always and still does refer to him as "my baby" even though my oldest is now 3 and "his baby" is now 15 months. i hear every morning "Mommy, come get my baby!" LOL its to cute. im hoping the 15 month old dont get jealous of the baby im carrying now though
    Rylansmommy386

Answer by Rylansmommy386 at 2:55 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• None of ours have been jealous but we have never had that large of a gap between them. Just try to keep your little one involved and remind her that she is special too.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My son was not quite 2 when his sister was born, so it was difficult to prepare him for the 'new arrival' in a way that would prevent much jealousy. We tried to explain what to expect, and gave him little helpful chores, and included gifts for him at the baby shower. Still, when I nursed her, he would sometimes get jealous and tell me "Baby down!"

At 5, your new 'Big Sister' can more easily learn to look forward to her new role. Keep her involved in your plans, and make sure she knows there will always be plenty of time and love for her and the baby. She'll be fine. :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 3:33 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Yes, our oldest got quite jealous but some of the best advice we got was to make it about the older child for a few days when the baby comes home so they don't feel replaced. Also, take her to lunch, or some such activity, and say it is for big girls.....it is something a baby can't do. Plus make her your helper to get diapers, wipes, etc. Make sure she gets one on one time with you and your SO. Best wishes!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:36 PM on Feb. 1, 2011