what do you want to teach your kids ?

i want to teach my kids to be themselves no matter what anyone thinks of them. i want them to be good contributing people to our society. I want them to understand the feelings of other peoples. i want them to know that i will always be there for them no matter what and all the stupid things they have done. I want them to be able to come home and think that they really want to be here, i want them to be able tell me anything and not be afraid. I want them to know how hard you really have to work at life to get it your way. but mostly i want them to know that i love them.

MOMMAof5_

Asked by MOMMAof5_ at 5:03 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in General Parenting

• I am with you, I also want them to know that relationships take alot of work, and not to run when things get hard. I want them to know that I will love No matter what, and will be there whenever they might need me.
    I also want them to know that even when I make mistakes that they will forgive me. I think most ppl hold some sort of resentment towards their parents about something b/c NO one is perfect. But that I do and always will do my very best to be the best parent I can be.

(as a parent it is a pretty big fear of mine b/c my sister doesnt talk to my mom b/c of one mistake she made and my sister cannot forgive her, I think it's rediculous but to each there own) oh and my mom raised 8 kids on her own
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 5:17 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Def. with you. Right now my daughter is 16 months so right now I am concentrating on manners. That is the one thing I cannot stand is children with no manners. I work in a daycare and I would say about 90% have NOOOOO manners. Obviously they have manners with me but once their parents walk in the room they turn into these little pricks and their parents have no problem with it....DRIVES ME NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 5:23 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I WANT TO TEACH MY KIDS THAT IN LIFE YOU CAN ONLY DEPEND ON YOURSELF. THAT THINGS IN LIFE DON'T COME TO YOU, YOU NEED TO WORK HARD AND EARN THINGS THAT YOU WANT. I WANT TO TEACH THEM THAT BEAUTY DOESNT MATTER ON THE OUTSIDE CUZ ITS WHATS INSIDE THAT MAKES THE PERSON. I WANT TO TEACH THEM THAT RESPECT, HONESTY, LOVE AND LIFE ARE WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT.
    marys2monkeys

Answer by marys2monkeys at 5:29 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Ha thats funny b/c with my first child his first word was Ank You. I also worked at a daycare and most had good manners but we did have bullies.
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 5:30 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• To survive the world they live in. I find in many cases the 'ideals' my parents gave me were not useful. Ethics can't be applied until one has secured a place in which to apply those ethics. I am world proofing my kids, not trying to kid proof the world. When the day comes that they face the wolf at the door, I don't want them trying to love the wolf enough to fix him, I want them to recognize danger and know when and how to fight with everything they've got without doubting their right to do so.

Looking for that special positive thing in everyone leaves you seeking yoda in every swamp. Most end up dying of Hep A before ever finding the holy grail. I'm teaching my kids to be smart enough to know which swamps don't need wading through.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 6:58 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• and if that means my kid is a little prick, then that's great.

When another parent calls someone elses kid a prick it means that they have kid proofed the interactions of everyone in their immediate circle and who interacts with their kid and they fear when someone else or their kid won't playing by the rules that their kid can win by.

I'm teaching my kids when to smile sweetly and when to hit hard because homes aren't bought with please and thank you.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 7:05 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• What I hope my son learns from his parents: empathy, respect, assertiveness, live healthy, be physically active, love nature, love reading for pleasure and the pleasure of having knowledge, the love of learning, the love of higher education, learning never stops, diversity is wonderful, tolerance, to love and be loved, spontanaity, plan, be flexable, do things that make your heart happy, love nature, nurture your spirit, hands are never for hurting, play, appreciate beauty and art, respect nature and the planet, love community, and know that his parents love him unconditionally.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:57 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• To be men and woman of Christ like charecter. To love God unconditionally, to love others compasionatly and to love themselves correctivly.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 8:12 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• EVERYTHING. Alas, there are so many hours in a day.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:44 PM on Nov. 15, 2008