Do you "wear" your baby? Why or why not?

Do you carry your baby in a sling or carrier? What do you see as the pro's and con's of "wearing" your baby?

Proverbs_31

Asked by Proverbs_31 at 2:35 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have worn 3 babies! I don't think it's natural or appropriate to stick children in car seats, bouncers, swings, strollers, etc. several hours a day and leave them in those things when it isn't necessary. I had my babies to be with them, to love and snuggle them, to give them what they need. Being close to them fostered comfort, good sleep habits, and yes, independence!!! Each of my children is secure and has faith that I will take care of their needs, so when the time comes they are free and independent and come back in if they need something they can't take care of themselves.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Yes. It was easier to BF, my hands were free, they were happy to be where they could see... No cons there!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• No. When I wore them, they slept all day - which meant they were up all night! I preferred them spending short amounts of time entertaining themselves. I think they learned more being down on a blanket with a couple toys than being cooped up next to me all day.

Answer by missanc at 2:38 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Oh - I do/did "wear" them when running errands because it's just easier. I just don't do it all day long.

Answer by missanc at 2:39 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Yes, I do. I didn't start until she was closer to 5 months old, though. I had an Infantino carrier when she was a newborn and that thing hurt my back. Crappiest carrier ever!! My MIL made me a Moby type wrap and a ring sling and I liked those much better. I also have an Ergo carrier that I got for my birthday and I wish I had it from the very get go. I LOVE it!! She is almost 18 months and we still use it. I really can't think of any cons. I can get her in it on my back by myself, but it's definitely easier if someone is there to help. I guess that would be the only con - that it's a PITA when alone. But the Moby and ring sling carriers were super easy to do when alone.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:52 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I have both a sling and a front carrier, when my son is sleeping he likes the sling and now that he is getting older and likes to be up right he loves the carrier
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 3:11 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I wear mine all the time. i love it, espcially at the store, he stays asleep much longer, i love having him close to me.:)
    prettymama0607

Answer by prettymama0607 at 3:20 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• yes I do when were at the store or at events. He has NEVER had a fit while were out b/c he's happy just hanging out with mommy! I dont do it while at home though. some moms wear their baby all day everywhere. I like my son to learn how to play on the floor with toys but when were out and about he is in a sling or carrier. We have 3 different kinds.
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 3:24 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Yes, I have a sling and a wrap I use for different needs. Pros: free hands to chase the toddler, do dishes, go out in public and keep people from touching the baby...easy to nurse in, satisfies her contact needs ( she was a preemie), there are more I can't think of right now.
    Cons: after a while my back starts hurting, after a while I get really hot, not too many cons and this is the second child I've worn.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:38 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Yes, I did with my last one and I will with this one also.  I have a baby carrier and it works great for trips to the grocery store, etc.  I wouldn't carry him around with me all the time but I like the closeness and my 3rd child seemed to sleep a lot better while we were out running errands if she was in a carrier.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:36 PM on Feb. 1, 2011