How can I clean/restore my painting?

I made a painting for my personal use.

I'm not selling it or anything; I was going to put it in my bathroom. I LOVED that painting. I did it two days ago, outside because it was a beauitful 67 degree day. Yesterday it was still wet so I left it out there. I forgot about it.... until a second ago then I saw it laying on my backporch on the ground.... in the rain!

It is on canvas and it is soaked! I propped it up to dry up it is covered in dirt and grime from the roof. The paint was not water based and it was dry so it didnt run...

So upset! I cant recreate it... is it ruined?

hendrickson

Asked by hendrickson at 2:51 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Let it dry completely and then use a soft brush to start getting some of the dirt off. You also might want to call some art dealers, craft stores, antique dealers, etc to ask for some guidance. Hope it turns out OK!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:51 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• It's acrylic on gessoed canvas? I agree to let it dry then brush off any excess dirt, but you can then use a small wet sponge to loosen up additional grime--if you have a small sea sponge, that would be ideal. You can also try "power-washing" with a spray bottle of water on the stream setting. The canvas will survive being wet, and the acrylics should survive as long as you don't handle them too roughly. Just start at the top, so the grime drips downward, then work your way down to the bottom.
    Oh, and in the future, bring your canvasses inside when you're done!
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:08 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Let it dry completely and use an old toothbrush to clean off the grime. Good luck (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:50 AM on Feb. 6, 2011