What is the best way to teach my son his ABC'S?

He is 2 and half. He knows how to count to 12, but not his ABC's.

ilovexzavier

Asked by ilovexzavier at 5:06 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We have the Leap Frog Fridge Phonics Alphabet. IT has a magnet for each letter that you can put in the center and it will say "B says buh, B says Buh, every letter makes a sound, B says Buh" and so on- but it also has a button you can press that sings the alphabet. My daughter also loves the Sesame Street video Do the ABC's. She's known her ABC's for a while and can recoginize the letters- so they worked for her!
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 5:18 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I use puzzles, daily with my daughter. And another way, is for each letter find an animal and name the animal with that letter. LIKE

A~ Ally Alligator
    B~ Bubba Bear
    C~ Catina Cat......and then you make a body motion and make the sound.
    D~ Dede Deer........
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 5:22 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• When my son was 2, I started singing the ABC song with him every night before bed. He started catching on pretty quick to it. Also, one of the only shows he's allowed to watch is Super Why on PBS, that seems to have helped him recognize letters. And I have printouts and flashcards we use. There's also a website I let him go to, starfall.com , which he loves.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 7:35 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Checkout starfall.com

We homeschool and that's one of the sites we use.  Great basic program for letter recognition, letter sound, and beginning reading.

happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 7:41 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I made up flash cards from empty card board boxes. I put the letter in upper case and lower case on one side and a picture of something that started with that letter on the reverse. I made it into a game that we would play together and sang the ABC's quietly and softly to the tune of twinkle twinkle little star when he went to sleep at night. I hope this helps and wish you the best in teaching your 2 yr. old the alphabet
    ProudBusyMommy

Answer by ProudBusyMommy at 7:51 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I bought alphabet cd,it is composed of alphabet songs,he memorized the songs and the alphabet.
    Renrea

Answer by Renrea at 8:53 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Leap Frog fridge phonics
    Leap Frog letter factory DVD
    Foam letters for the tub
    Have your very own "letter of the day". Write the letter nice and big on a piece of paper, post it on the fridge. Look for that letter while out shopping and in the books you read. Play with that letter in the tub. Make it out of playdoh during art time. Draw it in chalk on the sidewalk. Write it with crayons during coloring time.
    You can either start with uppercase or lowercase, it doesn't matter. Once he seems to know half of them start introducing the other case.
    Remember, he learns best through play and he learns best when you play with him.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:33 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• if your baby have the ability to learn... the ABC's... like my puppa would say.." thats nice" .. if you are looking to see if that make's your baby smarter than the "other baby" GIVE it up! they all grow t he same speed.. sure there is kids that are so unusally smart I KNOW MY BABY IS SOO SMART! forgive me I just had to brag A LITTLE... but I AM SURE SHE WILL BE the wild girl I had to deal with when her aunty was little... all I know if my gracie gives me at least 55% I can deal with that... but she has to deal with Papa with the 45 % .haha
    Dunty

Answer by Dunty at 1:34 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• my sons god father gave him a toy for his first birthday, a spider named LuLu. She sings the alphabet song, plays LuLus letters (she sings a song then shows a letter on her light up belly and says the letter out loud, and also has a push button belly so your son can tap it one at a time and see and hear each letter individually. My son is only 19 months and doesnt quite catch on, but he loves to hear LuLu speak the letters to him/. You can get one at walmart
    OmsYankeeMama

Answer by OmsYankeeMama at 10:14 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• go to walmart and in the crayola section they have huge letter flash cards with pictures ex A for apple etc..i bought them for my 2 1/2 yr old they are only 1 dollar and he learned many new words and when i show him the p he knows its for pumpkin etc... they also have them in colors and numbers.. he loves them he would rather study then play its great..
    shiekybabee03

Answer by shiekybabee03 at 7:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2008