Toddler Breakfast ideas?

My son is two and lately all he's been eating for breakfast is instant oatmeal (low-sugar variety) and a slice of toast with homemade blackberry jam. I am very concerned about the amount of sugar he is consuming in the mornings. But I don't really have time to fix eggs & turkey bacon every day. What are some quick, easy, non-sugary b-fasts you guys rely on? Oh, he's not much of a meat eater, but he does like turkey bacon. TIA!

zeppelynn

Asked by zeppelynn at 3:00 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Here are a couple quick ideas

Toast with margerine/butter, yogurt, a banana

Real oatmeal( the 5 minute kind is just as easy as the instant) put some rasins on top, glass of milk/juice

On the weekends you could make big batches of pancakes and freeze kid size portions in feezer ziplock baggies, and just pop in the toaster when you want them.
    -Scrambled eggs, yogurt, orange slices, or grapes(that way all you have to cook is the eggs, -fast)
    -Peanut butter toast and milk.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 3:16 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Give him cheerios. Or those Pediasure drinks. Pancakes. Toaster Strudel. They have egg and bacon ones.
    Hope this helps
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 3:02 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I actually was told that bacon and eggs is not a good breakfast for kids. They told me to stick to cereal and lowfat milk. Just make sure the cereal is lower sugar ones.
    tiffanyec21

Answer by tiffanyec21 at 3:06 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Oatmeak is great for him. Instead of the instant kind, make your own and add fruit and cinnamon. Or try fresh fruit smoothies.
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 3:09 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I like to keep our foods as fresh as possible but b-fast is hard to do. I think the time of day coupled with the time crunch makes relying on processed foods way too easy. But I'll do what I gotta do to keep from having a kid with type 2 diabetes. It totally freaks me out how much sugar he is consuming and I must cut it back for him. Thank you ladies for replying.
    I had no idea bacon and eggs wouldn't be a good breakfast for kids. I wonder why. I only use thr turkey bacon and from what i've heard eggs get a bad rap but they are really good for you. But I guess not for kids? Hmph.
    zeppelynn

Comment by zeppelynn (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• my son loves toast with peanut butter, yes its alittle messy but peanut butter is good for them, he also loves bananas ( i like the peanut butter toast and banana for breakfast for him), he also loves cininmon raisin toast, it doesnt need anything on it because it already has raisins and cinanmon in it, he also loves orange slices mixed in with the multigrain cheeros, they have a sweeter taste because of the mulitgrain, so he likes to eat it and its healthy, he loves eggs with shredded melted cheese, apple slices, corn bread muffins (they are nice and healthy and tasty and take like 5 minutes to make), french toast with cinnamon so no syrups are needed, if you need anything involving a sauce, my son loves honey (as long as your child is a toddler honey is now safe for them) its healthy and sweet and all natural, he also loves apple butter which isnt too bad as long as you over read the contents of which kind your are buying.
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 3:11 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Mmmmmm smoothies!!! I can't wait till summer!
    I've read overnight crockpot recipes for oatmeal and they sound pretty fantastic. Maybe I'll try that. Thanks proverbs!
    zeppelynn

Comment by zeppelynn (original poster) at 3:11 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• You can make homemade waffles or pancakes on the weekend and just warm it up for him on those busy weekday mornings. This is what I do.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 3:13 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Bobbysqurl, I love the way you think :)
    I eat PB toast every morning for b-fast and why it never occured to me to make some for him, idk! Good good good ideas girl! Thanks!
    zeppelynn

Comment by zeppelynn (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My son likes waffles and yogurt for breakfast. Sometimes we do pancakes, french toast, eggs and/or sausage. He usually has a glass or milk or juice afterwards.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 3:14 PM on Feb. 1, 2011