Should I homeschool my Son who has been diagnosed with so called ADHD?

He has behavior problems at school because his does not fit in a low energy environment, and I will not drug him. I believe that Kids are being diagnosed as having so called ADD AND ADHD because society does not know what to do with these newly evolved intelligent creative high energy future genius kids. They should never be drugged. There is a reason that more and more kids are being born this way. I never heard of ADHD in the late 70's and early 80's. They have a mission and purpose. We tend to look at evolution in past tense, but in fact it's right before our very eyes everyday.

Avitar

Asked by Avitar at 3:06 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think you should do whatever you want to. I remember believing the same as you do. I have a son with ADHD, Bipolar disorder, and another who is Autistic. They are very real disabilities. Of course you can treat them without medication if you educate yourself in ways to help your child. Ignoring it though wont make it go away.

Answer by gemgem at 3:10 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• If you feel that is a better environment for your son. Maybe search around for other schools too that have modifications for gifted children. It is not the schools fault and not any persons fault. Just the way your son's mind works. We know our own children better than anyone else. My cousin had ADHD and went to a special school that allowed him to go to school 4 hours a day rather than 7 hours. His mind just worked a lot faster. The ADHD mind knows everything happening at everyone's desk, whats going on outside the window, and everything out in the hallway. they also get dizzy sitting still to long. They learn it, they know it, and they are done. Smart. Get with your counselor, he made need to be able to listen to headphones while doing classwork, or use a computer,there are all kinds of things to assist now a days. Go to LD.org and read your rights, get some ideas, and support.
    Anonymous

• That's a decision only you can make. I too don't believe in meds for ADHD and was able to rid my son of his diagnosis (though I never liked that word because there wasn't anything wrong with him that needed to be labeled and treated) using a biomedical approach. Didn't help as far as school was concerned though; behaviorally he was fine but academically he struggled for awhile, despite consistently testing in the gifted range. It became increasingly obvious to me that they hadn't a clue about how to teach anyone outside the norm. After all, school is a socialistic concept in that it is designed to teach the largest number possible without any regard to how the individual learns. DS is heading off to college in the fall so I consider him a success story on all accounts but IF I could back and do it all over, I would definitely have homeschooled him.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 3:29 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I have to agree it's a decision for you to make on your own, I do home school my son for two reasons one the school system in area is just horrible, the curriculum is way behind the national standards. And my son is a normal high energy child, who would not do well in a a strict school environment, he is a motor mouth and I know that would suggest medicating him, and that is something I will not do. I was the same as a child and I was never medicated I just had to learn how to focus my energy better, and now there are just too many students in one classroom for a teacher to handle so it's much easier to drug them so they will be more relaxed and compliant. If you decide to home school i would look into www.connectionsacademy.com, it's totally free and they have very high standards, for there curriculum my son is in the 2nd grade there with 5th grade reading and math levels, they also have a terrific gifted program.

dorsey3

Answer by dorsey3 at 3:55 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• That diagnosis could not have been made without your input. No school has the authority to "label" your child ADD/ADHD as that diagnosis HAS to be made by medical personnel, a doctor or psychiatrist. It cannot be made by a psychologist, teacher, principal, etc.
    Anonymous

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/.
    You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org ) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective. We recently discovered that magnesium supplements also help

Answer by rkoloms at 11:08 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I work at a school that is designed for children with ADHD called The Orion School in Atlanta. One of the biggest struggles for these children is their social skills. Putting a child like this in homeschool may help him academically at first but his social skills may suffer. The Orion School has a 1:4 ratio so the children can focus better being in a small class while still learning skills to cope. Maybe you can find something like this in your area.
    CristinaC1014

Answer by CristinaC1014 at 8:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2011