Does anyone work at home as a Medical Transcriptionist?

ColorYourWorld

Asked by ColorYourWorld at 3:10 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

• I would love to know this. I want to go back to school and do it online. It would be nice to go into something that can be done from home. I have heard that medical coding/billing is better and it's always better to do it in hospital or somethng away from home b/c with experience you are more likely to get a job...These are just things I have heard but do not know for sure. So if anyone knows from experience, I would love to hear about it as well.
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 3:15 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I have been taking online courses through Career Step for Medical Transcription. I am getting to the actual transcription part and am thinking I am getting in over my head and this is probably harder than I thought it would be. I am not going to quit though. I want to get a job and work from home.
    ColorYourWorld

Comment by ColorYourWorld (original poster) at 3:18 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My sister went to school for this hoping to get a job. She never got one since most drs offices are now going to carrying those hand held computers and don't need the transcription. She eventually got a job working for her husband's company.

Answer by missanc at 3:28 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I hope that I can find something. Career Step gets you set up with companies you could apply to. Wish me luck!!!
    ColorYourWorld

Comment by ColorYourWorld (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• One of my bookkeeping clients is a medical office. I have been evaluating new software for them. As I see it, medical transcription won't exist in five years.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:05 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• FALSE Medical transcription will exist, the parts you dont know about are this: The profession is extending..they are getting additional rsponsabilites including but not limited to insurance auditing, proofing for those computers, BECAUSE HONESTLY COMPUTERS CANT TELL HUMOR, Take out ummmmms, pauses etc... ther eis still much a transcriptionist can do, ti will just not be the only responsability.

Many said this about Pharmacy clerks 10 years ago, AND THEY WERE RIGHT! The clerk sgot more responsabilities and became RPhTs. Still clerks, but not CPhTs.

When you ar ein the inside you understand, When you are the outside of the profession or dont keep up your skills, you assume like people here do.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 5:58 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My Mom did Career Step and HATED it. She said that it was good as far as getting a certification but as far as finding a job, it's BS. They MIGHT get you in a position but....you have to complete jobs that others are working on parts of it and you don't get paid until the whole job is completed (meaning you are at the mercy of all those others and it could take months for job to be completed depending on size). It took her 2 months to get her first paycheck once she got a position and it took her 4 months to get that position. It's good to get the certification but then, try to get on at hospital or something to get hands on experience and maybe it will be easier to get work from home job that way. Good luck!
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 1:49 PM on Feb. 5, 2011