Did anyone go back to college after having a baby?

When I found out I was pregnant, I put a pause on school. My son is due March 8th, and I plan to go back in August. Is it difficult?

LiveBreatheSing

Asked by LiveBreatheSing at 3:11 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

• No, but I'm thinking about it.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 3:12 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Its a lot harder time wise, but not unmanageable. I am going back after my second. Mostly online classes so I don't have to find a sitter.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 3:13 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• me, and i graduate with a BA in june *knock on wood* :p
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 3:16 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• As long as someone can watch your baby or you can take him to school with you, it won't be too horrible. It will be very hard, but you can do it.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:19 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I went back when my oldest was 2 1/2. I was also single and working full time to support us then, so it was hard. If you have support it shouldn't be all that bad, and really it may be easier with an infant than with a toddler. The one thing that I found to be easier when I went back was I was a lot more focused; I was on a mission to get through school and move on with my life, and my daughter was my inspiration.

My advice - do it now, because it isn't going to get easier, especially if you have more children. GL!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:26 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I went back to school after having my first child. I also had a second baby while still in school and I graduated pregnant with my 3rd child. I also worked full time. So while at times it is difficult it is doable and I got better grades when I went back after having kids.

I think it is a little easier to go back when your kids are younger becasue when they get older the understand more and realize that you aren't there.

I say go for it and just know that at time it might be hard, but you can do it.,

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:32 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I did two semesters after having my DD. We made a deal that I wouldn't go back until after her first birthday b/c he wanted to make sure that I would be around for almost all of her firsts (word, steps and many others). I also did online courses but it still took time away from my child. It is difficult but definitely doable especially if you are focused.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:39 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I was in my last year when I had my first baby. I would have been in my last semester, but there was one class I needed that was only offered in the spring. So I was almost part time for two semesters and then out of there when she was 6 months old.  It really wasn't any worse than the previous years were full time.  The previous semester when I had morning sickness and was taking a full load was by far worse than leaving my little one 12 hours a week to go to class.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 3:43 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I didn't go back until he was almost a year old. But I also am going online and I think that makes it easier. I don't have to find a parking spot, look nice, or even get out of my PJs if I don't want to. I can also go to school at 2 in the morning- which works well since sometimes that's the only time I can.

Anyway yes it is possible to go back to school. But it's also okay to wait until you are physically and mentally ready. You could try doing some online courses from your local community college as well.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:50 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I am attending grad school after having my son. I have a 3.6 GPA and will graduate with high honors. It can be done. You should have to be organized, hard worker, and most of all the drive to do it.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:26 PM on Feb. 1, 2011