Is there anybody out there that could talk to me more about adoptions?

Hello my name is becky and I just put my baby up for adoption and the adoptive parents are my landlords and they did not do anything but give us half rent for 6 months and we have black mold in our house and our roof is bad, and they are not even wanting to fix it, and I have three kids.they say they can't aford to fix all that right now, and I know that black mold will make you very sick,when I told them that I wanted a fincialy fit adoptive family they said that they were,well they lied,they also lied to me about not haveing any kids,but come to find out he is paying child support on a child,if someone could plese help me I don't know what to do all answers will be so thouhghtful thanks to everyone and god bless! Becky

cartwright

Asked by cartwright at 8:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Adoption

• I'm not sure exactly what your question is, but will be happy to try...

if your house is full of black mold and the roof is bad, the rental is possible in violation of the implied warranty of habitability - you may be able to get the whole amount of rent rebated, but you will need to see a lawyer. this should have absolutely NOTHING to do with the adoption issue, however.

As for the adoption issue - it sounds like they have been dishonest. If the adoption is not final, you may be able to block it. I wouldn't want my baby to be raised by people who would lie to get a baby.

it sounds like this was all arranged privately - did you have benefit of a lawyer to protect your interests? Did they go through a home study? Is their home full of health hazards too?

Anonymous

• Call the health department on them. Or the EPA. Black mold is a serious health risk for you AND your kids. The landlords can be held liable for you and your kids health problems.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• move out.. or find another relative or a friend to live with..
    kanela

Answer by kanela at 10:43 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• OMG! How is this all true? Get your baby adoptions are not final for 1 year. These are not honest people if they lied. You already have three, actually four, get your baby! Good luck!
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 5:37 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• let me get this straight now...you gave your baby away for 1/2 rent for 6 months? did you sign adoption papers? did any of you have a lawyer? and how did you not notice the decrepit state of the rental property till recently? It takes a while for something to fall in such dis-repair.
    Anonymous

• Becky, You have been used by some horrible icky terrible people... You need to contact an attorney. There are many attorneys in every county of these United States why do 'pro se' work. You and your children deserve a healthy environment to live in. There is absolutley nothing your landlord can say to dispute that... Also, adopting your birth child doesn't make your landlord immune to taking care of his tennants... You and your children are required "by law" to be a priority... If he cannot provide these rights to you he is required to provide to you healthy alternitive or relinquish the property to someone who can.
    Unfortunately, I can only get angry at this point. Please cantact me. Barb.johnson625@gmail.com.
    Please take care of yourself, Becky!! I will worry.

Unfortunately,

barbjohnson

Answer by barbjohnson at 2:00 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• sorry Becky but it sounds as if you used your baby as a get half off coupon. that may be harsh but your apartment woes have nothing to do with the adoption.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 10:27 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I think you should have been asking questions before the adoption not after. I mean, really, if you really had no clue what these people were really like why did you hand over your baby to them? In real adoptions they do homestudy to make sure the parents are fit, emotionally & financially. and people aren't allowed to "trade" a baby for anything...money, free rent, anything. WHen you do that its illegal and baby selling NOT adoption!
    Anonymous

• Did you use an attorney for the adoption? Did you do the paperwork?

If they are not fixing mold in the house you should call someone that will make them fix it, but it should have nothing to do with the adoption.

If you did go through an attorney for the adoption I would contact one right away and make everything legal...or find new adoptive parents for your baby if you're not comfortable with the current parents.
    shanamarie

Answer by shanamarie at 9:40 AM on Jul. 15, 2008