Can I put non-baby specific items on my baby shower registry?

I feel a little wierd putting other things that I need to get ready for the baby on there, like a new twin bed mattress that will go in the baby's room for mommy or daddy to sleep on when baby is being fussy, or an over-the-toilet storage unit for the bathroom next to the baby's room (it has zero storage, and I'm going to need something!)
It just seems wierd to put that kind of stuff, even though we really need things like that.

Think it's ok to put that kind of stuff on a baby registry, or is that kind of a no-no?

If we had to save up for some of the non-baby stuff we need it'd take forever to get on our own. This is our first baby, so we have zero in the way of getting ready for baby.

hippomom1919

Asked by hippomom1919 at 3:19 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• Put them on the registry. I also highly recommend adding a battery charger and rechargeable batteries. If you don't include those items no one will know you want them.  You register to give people ideas about things you want or need, and anyone who thinks those items are weird just won't buy them for you. 

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:32 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• It's your registry, put whatever you want on it.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:25 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• You can put what ever you want on the baby registry. It's up the the buyer to decide whether they want to buy it or not.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 3:26 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I would say the storage thing might make sense, but I def. wouldn't put a twin mattress on there.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 3:21 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I would not put that on a registry. A mattress in the babies room is far from a necessity and as far as storage if people help you out with the baby things then your money can go towards the storage over having to buy the things for yourself.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:22 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I wouldn't. It's not right. They want to buy for the baby. You won't need a twin mattress.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:24 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I wouldn't put a twin bed on there but if you had a family member ask you I would tell them that you need that.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 3:23 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• TweenandTwinMom I can't vote up enough times about a battery charger and rechargeable batteries - in whatever size goes in the swing and/or bouncy seat you are getting!

Answer by missanc at 3:39 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I wouldn't do it. The shower registry is supposed to be for stuff for the BABY.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:49 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• The crib we have to use doesn't make into a larger bed, so the twin mattress would wind up being the child's bed when he/she outgrows the crib. We have the frame that's already in the nursery, just no mattress for it.
    hippomom1919

Comment by hippomom1919 (original poster) at 3:26 PM on Feb. 1, 2011