How much do you pay for piano lessons?

For my 2 children everyone I speak to is saying right around $300 a month!!! So I've just been teaching them myself so far. I just think they'd take it a little more seriously if their mom wasn't their teacher. They both want to take piano or I wouldn't bother, but $300 a months seems...over the top.

misses_nick

Asked by misses_nick at 3:20 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

• My husband is a band director, and the lessons teachers that work with his students charge $15 a half hour for lessons.
    hippomom1919

Answer by hippomom1919 at 3:27 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• We go to the local music store and I pay $18.00 per lesson so it is so for 2 kids it would be $36.00 per lesson. So for my 3 children it would be about $144.00 for a month and that is for a half hour lesson.

I would call around and see what people charge.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:27 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• i was charged $20 for each 1/2 hour lesson for my daughter.
    JusaLady

Answer by JusaLady at 3:21 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Depends on the length of the lesson. My SIL does lessons for $45/hour (she has her music degree), but she does mostly 1/2 hour lessons. Also, when I was growing up my mom got a discount rate from someone since there were 4 of us taking piano from the same person.
    I taught my kids their notes and basic music theory, but my daughter now goes to my SIL - she definitely takes it more seriously from someone else!

Answer by missanc at 3:24 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Our teacher charges $25/per child for a 1/2 lesson at our house. So it is roughly $200/month.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:36 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My son is taking drum lessons from a high school band director at $30/half hour. We live in a high cost area. You can get better rates from college student - music majors, but then they graduate and you have to find a new one.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 3:55 PM on Feb. 1, 2011