Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Should I be induced at 41 weeks or wait longer to see if I go into labor naturally?

My doctor said she would schedule me for an induction at 41 weeks if I haven't gone in to labor by my due date. Is this a good idea? It is my first baby and I really don't want a c-section. I'm going to have her check my cervix at my 39 week appt on Monday to see if I dilating and/or effacing. I just don't know if I should wait it out until 42 weeks and risk having a big baby or go ahead with the induction and risk not progressing to the point where I'd have to have a c-section. Please any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Answer Question
 
Kelli1012

Asked by Kelli1012 at 3:39 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

Level 14 (1,591 Credits)
Answers (15)
  • Do you trust your doctor?
    CraftingMama

    Answer by CraftingMama at 3:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

  • If you haven't had any complications, I would just wait.
    febmom007

    Answer by febmom007 at 3:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

  • Wait. You'd have to have a VERY big baby indeed for it to make a c-section necessary, for one thing...
    misses_nick

    Answer by misses_nick at 3:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

  • Look up the risks of babies being born over 41 weeks and decide.
    Misteh

    Answer by Misteh at 3:41 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

  • Wait, and don't bother with the cervical check, it will tell you nothing.
    LoveMyDog

    Answer by LoveMyDog at 3:46 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

  • I would wait until 42 weeks. Since the due dates can be off by 2 weeks, I would wait.
    Jademom07

    Answer by Jademom07 at 3:47 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

  • It's not like your baby is under-developed, it wouldn't hurt him/her.

    Most women usually get induced around this time anyway if they haven't gone into labor already.
    ChelseATX

    Answer by ChelseATX at 3:48 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

  • well, just because you get induced doesn't mean you're going to have a c-section. i was induced at 39 weeks with my first and had a healthy vaginal delivery. my second was also induced, and c-section, at 43 weeks and she was 10 pounds. if you're comfortable with waiting, then wait. otherwise, google the risks of either and outweigh the risks & benefits.
    tnm786

    Answer by tnm786 at 3:49 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

  • The doctor can run test that see if the lungs are fully developed, thats what they did with my daugher, I was induced at 38 weeks and my daughter came out at a healthy average weight......ask the doctor about the test they can run just to make sure but if everything is developed then i would go ahead with it.
    MommyTurtle1985

    Answer by MommyTurtle1985 at 3:51 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

  • I would just go with what your doctor says. My doctor induced my son at 41 weeks because he was stressed I think she called it. With my daughter they waited and I still had to be induced. I would just follow the advice of the doctor.
    True_Gator_77

    Answer by True_Gator_77 at 4:10 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.