Kids fighting, driving me nuts

My kids are ages 4 and 5........we are not having more.
My question is how do you parents that have more than one kid deal with fighting....constant fighting. All they do is fight, arugue and piss each other off on perpose...its driving my hubby and I nuts! They're never happy and I dont know how to make either one of them happy now......they cant even be in the same room together anymore. Its only been like this for a few months. How do you handle the fighting with our ripping your hair out???

MommyTurtle1985

Asked by MommyTurtle1985 at 3:44 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Haven't had that problem. I would just try to keep them separated for a bit. Maybe that will help.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 3:48 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My mom used to sit my sister and I in chairs directly across from one another, with our knees touching. We had to hold hands and tilt forward so that our foreheads touched. She made us sit that way forever, but you could do it just like a timeout, with one minute per the eldest's age.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:50 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• With my grandkids. I come down hard on them and they decide to have me be the bad guy. Then they are friends because I have become the enemy.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:51 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• If one said something hurtful, I would ask the other how would they feel and make them use better words. It takes constant teaching and mediating, but you will get there.
    Try to spend one on one time with each kid once a day. Let them have you all to yourself, talk about whatever they want to talk about, praise them for what they do right, tell them what is special about each one (not in a competitive way, everyone has strengths and weaknesses).
    Some kids are very competitive, try to channel it in a positive way -- backyard teambuilding games like building a fort, or drawing a maze in the driveway with chalk, bounce a ball and beat their own personal record. Cheer each other on.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 3:59 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Thank you RED Rowan......
    MommyTurtle1985

Comment by MommyTurtle1985 (original poster) at 4:07 PM on Feb. 1, 2011