H0w can I break my 10 year old from cursing ?

I have tried grounding her , taking away her games , sending to her room . She can be worse than a sailor sometimes . She can be a sweet little girl when she wants something but she can also be very disrespectful to . She only does it at home and no where else .

brokenangel38

Asked by brokenangel38 at 3:44 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• Make her do an hour of cleaning for every curse word that comes out of her mouth. It is going to suck for you to have to stand over her and make her clean, but it won't happen too many times before she learns that it is unacceptable in your house and to stop doing it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:46 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I make my kids swish with vinegar for 30 seconds.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:47 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• wash her mouth out with soap and explain that a dirty mouth needs to be cleaned with soap
    Anonymous

• Of course, mine are only 6 and 8 and they don't say curses per se...but if they are using toilet words or say G*d...
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:48 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I would explain how disrespectful it is and how she is very intelligent and can find other words to use to express herself. I would also explain the rules of the house, which is no cursing and explain the reprocussions for that. Be consistent, and make sure she knows exactly what will happen if she breaks the rules. I would take something away each time it happens, and she loses it for 24 hours minimum. Good luck.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 3:49 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Videotape her on a foul-mouthed rant and then play it in front of her extended family and/or friends. It's extreme, but ...
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 3:51 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• set up a reward system.. sumthn like have her pick one thing she would like to really do the comming wknd. then tell her this is how were gonna work on achieving this if this is what u really want! talk to her bout her curssing etc. and that every time she dose sumthn she knows is not right as in bein dissrespectful then that is a mark against her. and if she gets 3 in a wk then she wont be able to recieve what it is that u guy's agreed on! but along the way u have to communicate with her an let ur child know how they are doing, an how everyone can accomplish this as a whole if everyone works together! best of luck!!
    heiditr

Answer by heiditr at 3:52 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• my parents always told me that when I used dirty words I was showing how smart I was (wasn't!) I don't think I ever got in serious trouble about it, but their expression of disappointment was enough to correct the behavior for me.
    hippomom1919

Answer by hippomom1919 at 3:52 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I am reading a book that is really good. It's called Have a new kid by Friday. When she does something you don't appreciate you don't do what she asks no matter what. Screw you mom (in harsher words) you say nothing but walk away.. When she asks to go shopping, or says i'm ready to go to my friends you say no and walk away. If she follows you you simply move to another room (you don't do the silent treatment you just repeat no when asked) and at the third time you say nicely. You hurt my feelings or you weren't nice earlier so we are not going. If you want to be mean I don't want to take you anywhere. The guy says if you continue like that you should" have a new kid by Friday" ... If it works with my 3 year old it should work for your daughter.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 3:54 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Walking away does help sometimes and showing her I will not respond to that . I took the computer away all day from her Sunday and she kept beggin for it , I kept saying no . When she asked me why not , I finally told her , she had to earn it back by being good . She was yesterday after school until like 9 and asked nicely for it , before I gave it to her I told her see what happens when your good
    brokenangel38

Comment by brokenangel38 (original poster) at 4:05 PM on Feb. 1, 2011