How do you make hummus?

I know you need garbanzo beans and whatever else you want to put in it (garlic, tahini, spices, etc.), but what's the process like? Do you need a food processor or what? I know I can google this, but I've heard of a couple of different ways so I was wondering what you had found to be the easiest way or your favorite way to make it. Does anyone have a recipe that you love?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 3:51 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Ingredients
    nocoupons
    4 garlic cloves
    2 cups canned chickpeas, drained, liquid reserved
    1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1/3 cup tahini (sesame paste)
    6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
    2 tablespoons water or liquid from the chickpeas
    8 dashes hot sauce
    Directions
    Turn on the food processor fitted with the steel blade and drop the garlic down the feed tube; process until it's minced. Add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor and process until the hummus is coarsely pureed. Taste, for seasoning, and serve chilled or at room temperature.

tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:53 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I use my food processor, but you could use a blender, immersion blender, even a mortar and pestle.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:54 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• A food processor lets you make it with minimal liquid, which is my preference.
    I use:
    1 can chickpeas, drained
    2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped (to make them break up more easily in the food processor)
    Juice of 1 lemon
    2-3 Tablespoons sesame tahini
    1/2 tsp. cumin
    1/2 tsp. paprika (sweet, not hot or smoked)
    2-3 T fresh parsley, or 1/2 T. fresh cilantro
    1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
    Salt to taste

I put the garlic and lemon in the food processor, and pulse until the garlic is smoothly integrated.
    Then I add half the chickpeas and the remaining herbs/spices, exc. salt, and process until smooth. Add the remaining chickpeas and olive oil, and process until smooth. Add the sesame tahini, process for about 30 seconds, then put into a serving bowl. For "Syrian style," garnish by sprinkling the surface with more paprika, and floating a ring of olive oil around the edge.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:20 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• A food processor lets you make it with minimal liquid, which is my preference. or magic bullet
    I use:
    1 can chickpeas, drained
    Juice of 1 lemon
    2-3 Tablespoons sesame tahini
    1/2 tsp. cumin
    1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
    Salt to taste

GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 4:54 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Yum! I love hummus.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 4:27 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I sort of use this:  http://www.dedemed.com/index.php/Vegetarian-Recipes/Hummus.html#axzz1ClOpMmlI without citric acid and with cumin

Answer by rkoloms at 9:11 PM on Feb. 1, 2011