Super bowl = Parents toon out

Have you ever been to a super bowl party and you have your kids there and everybody else has there kids there and as soon as that game comes on all the adults in the house stop paying attention to the kids?? Do you find that its YOU or SO that finds themselves keeping order in the place? This is how it is at my dad's house for Super Bowl....and the mothers there other than me are not watching football they're held up in the kitchen chatting not paying any attention to where the 3 and 4 year olds are......?

MommyTurtle1985

Asked by MommyTurtle1985 at 4:06 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• not really.....I do't go to football parties, especially with my kids
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:07 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• No. The kids usually just play. I think everyone should be responsible for their own kids.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:08 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• The party we went to had a separate room set up for the kids with snacks and movies and toys. Of course the youngest child there was 4 and the older ones who were 9 and 10 year old girls were paid 15 each to help keep the peace taking turns.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't be caught dead at a Superbowl Party, unless my husband wanted to host one at home, and then obviously I would expect to supervise any children.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 4:09 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• ok maybe the phrase " Family Get-together" is better.....Its not like they're at a night club or bar or anything.
    MommyTurtle1985

Comment by MommyTurtle1985 (original poster) at 4:09 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• 3 and 4 yr olds dont need to be watched every second. maybe you should go have some fun chatting with the other women
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 4:09 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• At most adult parties, parents tune out. I was always the parent who planned the activities for the little ones. I think someone should be paying attention to the children. If you feel that it is always you, maybe you can suggest that last time it was you. Maybe one of the other moms can take a turn.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 4:11 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Nope..and it isn't that way in my House, that's for sure. But my Son watches Football with my Husband and I, and He is super independent, anyway. Even still - just because I get into the Game doesn't mean I don't pay attention to my Son, He comes first.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 4:12 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• no i get what you're saying but no, i don't bother taking my kids to things like this becaue i can't enjoy myself b/c i'm too worried about what my kids are doing, if i don't have a stitter, i stay home
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:13 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Shrug. My kids don't need to be watched 24/7, even at 3. The one Super Bowl party I went to at my sister in laws house (the one with the whole wardrobe malfunction...which I MISSED because I got up to get something from the kitchen, lol) the kids were off playing in the bedrooms with their cousins while all the adults watched the game. They were toddler age at the time and it didn't bother me. I don't spend every waking moment with my kids...they play off on their own from the start so I know they can deal with it and I don't worry about them.
    We checked on them occasionally to make sure they weren't killing each other but other than that...we just chilled out, had a few beers with our family and had fun. Like it was when I was a kid.
    I think it's time to cut the ties a little and relax.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:13 PM on Feb. 1, 2011