what's with all the "Southern name" stuff?

I'm from the DEEP South and I don't think my kids have "southern sounding" names...what, in your opinion makes a name "Southern" ?

and no Billy Bob crap that's such a stupid stereotype

josiesmommy00

Asked by josiesmommy00 at 4:15 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Just for Fun

• i am also from the south (florida to be exact) and nobody i have ever known in my 24 years of life has gone by two names. i also dont think my kids' names are Southern, but some might (Lily, Savannah & Taylor) i agree most of it is just stereotypical.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Any name that would be associated with any kind of southern belle type movie. Scarlet, Bonnie, Shelby... I dunno though. I think accent has more to do with it really. I mean I can make Elizabeth sound WAY southern if I say it right.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:18 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Usually stereotypes have a valid history, then it gets taken to the extreme and becomes redundant and often offensive, but it usually does make a point. I have known many Southerners who use two names, and the reason is usually to distinguish them from another family member, often a parent or grandparent. Also it's common to use the mother's maiden name as a first or middle name, it's just a way of honoring the family name, especially if there are no males to carry on the line. When I moved to Florida I was required to use my maiden name as my middle name on my drivers license. Also, it seems to me that a lot of nick names are used as the persons name. I've know several girls that were called Sister by everyone, not just the family.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 6:51 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Well, I think especially if someone regularly goes by a first AND second name, it is a very southern tradition, if you will.

I've lived everywhere, and I've lived in the south 3 times now. Southerners are very distinctive in many ways, and names happen to be one...not always, of course...but very often.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 4:17 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I have no idea, but I noticed that you were voted down for that.

My SIL is from the south and her first name is her mother's maiden name. She said that is a southern thing. Is that true? I'm asking because my SIL is a chronic liar and I have no idea whether she is telling the truth or not. I do know it's her mother's maiden name, but it could be more of a family thing rather than a southern thing.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:18 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Also, if you've never lived outside of the south it might be hard to see the difference. Just to be diplomatic.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 4:46 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My mothers family is from the south. They have a lot of two named people in the family and in that area. I think southern names tend to be a bit more traditional and biblical at times, but of course that's not always the case and may not even be the norm, but that's what I tend to notice as a southern trend.
    binkadink

Answer by binkadink at 5:56 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I think that mother's maiden name tradition is not strictly southern. I know that is a very old tradition even in the northeast.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 4:20 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Really?? I'm in the Northeast. I've seen Mother's maiden names used at middle names, but not as first names. Her's is a first name.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:24 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Oh my goodness! You seriously don't know anyone who goes by 2 names? I know TONS!!! And my living in the south has been for a total of 6 years spread over different times and 3 southern states: Texas, Georgia, and Tennessee. In Georgia I knew SCADS of 2-named people! I knew Mary Kates, Mary Eliazabeths, Mary Francines....I knew Jim Bobs, Jimmy Rays, James Thomases...I knew Billy with every name to follow. LOADS of 2-named people. Texas wasn't as much that way, and Tennessee isn't either, but there are still a few. There are also lots of obviously Civil War related traditional names, and millions of Jacksons.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 4:24 PM on Feb. 1, 2011