anybody have a good workout on the treadmill? Some say you should go as fast as you can and then slow, like spurts of energy.

laur1963

Asked by laur1963 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Interval training is great! There are a ton of programs available for running. Google interval training and you'll find some for the treadmill.. I did one that was 8 weeks long and I loved it. You can also do c25K or couch to 5K. It is designed to train you to run a 5K (3.1 miles) in 8 weeks. I will also recommend www.halhigdon.com. I have done his 5k, 10K and now his 1/2 marathon training programs.
    Interval training is great as it raises your heart rate, drops it, raises it, drops it, etc.. and it burns a ton of calories.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 4:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• You can google treadmill workouts. I agree you should go fast and slower. I like to run on a 6 or 6.5 and I just run for .10 of a mile then I go back down to 3 or 3.5 to walk. Its still a fast walk. You should find speeds that make a comfortable stride for you. I keep trying to push myself in distance and speed. Some days I only have a set amount of time so I try to do 2 miles in 30 mins. Other days I try to go for longer and I vary speed as much as I can. I used to only be able to run for short spurts and i would have to walk longer to recover. When I challenge myself I will run for .10 then walk for .10 of a mile. Then i may run for .10 and walk for .05. just keep invreasing it so you are running longer than you are walking. Soem days i hold weights while I walk and just increse the incline. Its important to add variety to keep challenging your body.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:41 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Great advice thank you so much for the ideas :)
    laur1963

Comment by laur1963 (original poster) at 4:44 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My treadmill has 40 minute programs that do you can either follow or you can set- up your own. I love the TM-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:45 PM on Feb. 1, 2011