Overweight/Obsese && pregnant.

I am currently 23 weeks and 6 days pregnant. I am naturally a bigger girl, and have been since I was about 10, I have gone to many doctors, nutritionists, gyms, personal trainers, ETC and can never seem to lose any weight. I had high blood pressure ever since I had my first daughter (who is now three), but when I got pregnant this time around, they took me off all my medications for my high blood pressure, and said that my blood pressure was fine. I am worried about it, and wondering if anyone has gone through a similar experience or the same thing and how you dealt with it. I am considered "Overweight/Obese" because I am so short && cause of my body build, mainly only in my stomach area due to my previous c-section, and this just scares me!! I don't want to gain a whole lot of weight this pregnancy, I don't eat bad at all.

Any suggestions? Helpful tips? Experiences? I'd love to talk with people who are in the same boat as me!

=)

PrdWifeNMom07

Asked by PrdWifeNMom07 at 4:24 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• you going to gain inches and weight no matter what. just eat healthy and steadily and you should be fine. have you ever got your thyroid checked or anything?
    Anonymous

• Just watch what you eat and rest.
    I'm like 100lbs overweight but have naturally low blood pressure (I've actually have nurses recheck it because they didn't believe it would be that low being pregnant and overweight) and I tend to lose weight while pregnant. My last one I started at 240, finished at 252 and a week after he was born I was 230. He was over 7lbs so I actually lost weight while he gained. All my weight gain was baby/placenta/fluids.
    All 5 of mine were c-sections, too.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:37 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• As a fellow overweight woman, who has given birth twice, my best advice to you is to start some sort of exercise program. What I mean by that is regular walking, stationary bike riding or maybe even a yoga class. I loved swimming with my first pregnancy and took a water aerobics class for months. I loved it! Now, with my first baby, I gained 62 pounds, but lost most of it by the time he was 2 weeks old. With my second son, I hardly gained any weight at all. I ate sensibly, sticking to really clean foods, loads of fruits and veggies, diary and lean meats. I gained 29lbs and lost it all with childbirth.

I am trying to conceive again right now. I joined a gym and will continue to use the treadmill and bike until I am told not to!

Good luck! Obesity doesn't mean unhealthy! Remember that!!!
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 4:37 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Walking will help get your blood pressure down.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:38 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• i don't have any advice that you wouldn't already know (eat as well as you can, be active) but you're not alone! i weighed 200 when i had my first and 225 when i had my second. it's so hard. :'(
    Anonymous

• Hey lady! You are NOT alone. There are lots of great ways to handle this issue and manage your health care.

1st Baby- I weighed 293 when I got pregnant. I lost 25 pounds from morning sickness, maintained my weight throughout the second and first part of the third trimester. Then I gained 6 pounds with her in the last month.

2nd Baby- I weighed 294 when I got pregnant. I lost 8 pounds in the first month from lack oween f appetite. Then I maintained my weight until the last 6 weeks when I gained 9 pounds.

My best advise to you is to BUY A BP MONITOR that will allow you to monitor your blood pressure at home. I own the "ReliOn Women's Automatic" blood pressure cuff. It's SUPER easy to use. Just put the cuff on and push the button. This will allow you to have peace of mind because you will know if there is a reason to be concerned or not.

Continued Below...
    Anonymous

• The 2nd SUPER IMPORTANT thing you can do is to do the "Brewer's Pregnancy Diet."

Dr. Brewer's diet is specifically designed FOR PREGNANT to PREVENT high blood pressure and Pre-Eclampsia/Toxemia. I did this with my last pregnancy and I could see a HUGE difference between my 2 pregnancies. With my 2nd pregnancy (brewer's pregnancy diet pregnancy) my high blood pressure stayed away for a LOT LONGER than with my 1st pregnancy.

And I felt SO MUCH BETTER with that pregnancy. More energy. No "feeling like crap feeling" during my pregnancy, especially at the end which is when it really hit with my 1st baby.

#3- WALK! Walking between meals is SO HELPFUL. And I know it's cold and your tired but walking really had such a positive affect on my blood pressure and my health. I really felt SO MUCH better. I started out at 10 minutes per day. Then I upped it to 20 minutes. Then I started trying to walk 10 minutes between each
    Anonymous

• meal. I will say though that it is SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER SUPER important to hydrate properly if you exercise during pregnancy because exercise releases sweat with has salt in it and despite what you see ALL OVER TV and INTERNET you do NEED some salt.

And LOSS OF SALT can actually cause high blood pressure.

SO long story short....

1-Monitor Blood Pressure at home

2-Follow Brewer's Pregnancy Diet (http://www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/ This website will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know about the diet)

3- Exercise but HYDRATE while you do

Anonymous

• I encourage you to hire a midwife and to read.
    There are some great websites and books like:

Nine Months Strong by Karen Bridson*
    Nutrition for a Healthy Pregnancy by Elizabeth Somer*
    Lose Your Mummy Tummy by Julie Tupler*
    Natural Health after Birth by Aviva Jill Romm*
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:09 AM on Feb. 2, 2011