How cold can a golden retriever take?

We r babysitting 2 dogs while their owners went out of town we have shelter for them outside we do not have room inside it is suppose to drop in the 20's what can I do for them so they won't get too cold.
We have a garage but it's the opened ones :(
Please help the owners won't b back til this weekend.
Thank you ladies for your thoughts.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2011 in Pets

• Do they have shelter such as a dog house? They would be better off inside locked in a bathroom over night than out in the open. If you are totally against them being in your house. If nothing else use you open garage with some blankets for cuddling.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:32 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• well tack up blankets or somethin and put a mini heater where they cant get to it to knock it over and make sure they are away from flamables
    nofi1389

Answer by nofi1389 at 4:32 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• They should be OK if they have shelter. Put some straw down in the dog houses or some blankets.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• They aren't shaved are they?
    Candi1024

• I think they need to be put in a bathroom...can the owners send money or reimburse you for boarding??? their pads can get frostbite as well as their ears...even though dogs have a fur coat, they are not meant to be out in that cold. if not, then a dog house, facing away from any wind and LOTS of hay/straw and blankets...that's so sad.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:37 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Have they been outside all along? If so, they can stay outdoors ok, but I agree, they will need access to a shelter. If it is a garage, put down blankets and perhaps an outdoor safe space heater. AND make sure there are no chemicals to get into or antifreeze, cages would be best idea. If it is a dog house, put some massive amounts of straw and cover it with a wind barrier like a tarp for instance.

If the dogs are not normally housed outside, they need to come inside, even inside a laundry room or bathroom or basement area would be fine.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 4:38 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I agree with spottedpony. If the dogs are normally outside dogs, what they need most is a wind break and a shelter to keep them dry. Being wet, and out in the wind, is what harms animals the most ~ not the cold (if they are already used to winter weather). If you don't have a dog house or something for them to curl up in, than bring them in even if they are used to being outside ... if all you do is park them on the kitchen or bathroom floor.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 5:43 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I agree with calliesmom. I have a Golden Retreiver and he definitely gets cold when it is that cold. I would bring the dogs inside and put them in a bathroom, laundry room, basement but I would NOT leave them outside in that kind of cold. The same would go if it were extremely hot as well.
    captainlove

Answer by captainlove at 9:35 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• thats way too cold for them .. is there a good reason why they cant come in for a few days? put them in the open garage with plenty of blankets , try to put them out of the wind .. poor doggies
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:52 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• how are the doggies doing????? the weather is AWFUL!!!! HOpe you figured something out :(
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:01 PM on Feb. 2, 2011